CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-03-2008, 10:20 AM   #1
Ryan Shadrin

Profile:
Crossfit and Weight Gain

I've found that over the last three months of crossfit workouts (5/2 cycle), I've grown much thicker in my upper body -- barrel chest, broad back, and have seen an increase in body fat, particularly around the waist. My legs, on the other hand, have developed lean muscle. At the same time, I've become dramatically stronger overall -- and oddly enough, faster, especially at the middle distance runs we do (5K, etc.)

Obviously some of this is due to my physiology -- but is this common? Can it be manipulated through diet? Is there something performance-related I can do to improve lean muscle development and reduce fat?
Old 02-03-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Crossfit and Weight Gain

Are you using a specific diet?

If you want to stop weight gain cut back on something in your diet. With Zone usually it's a block or two.

Getting faster at 5k is normal as it utilized both aerobic and anaerobic endurance... which is what metcons, HIIT, tabatas, etc. all work on.

Anyway, yeah, diet is basically what you need to manipulate.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Ryan Shadrin

Profile:

I'm not on a specific diet but I am also careful about what, and how much, I eat.

The Zone sounds like the way to go.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:34 AM   #4
David Stout

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Shadrin View Post
Obviously some of this is due to my physiology -- but is this common? Can it be manipulated through diet? Is there something performance-related I can do to improve lean muscle development and reduce fat?
Common?
Not sure but it's essentially what happened to me during the first 6 months of my CF training.

Can it be manipulated through diet? Is there something performance-related I can do to improve lean muscle development and reduce fat?
Yes, at least for me. I've dropped 22# since I started following the Zone. I had only a slight drop in my CF Total which I'm working on now.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
Derek Weaver

Profile:

My guess is that you are overeating.

What are your rest weeks and "off" days like. I know this is more bodybuilding talk, but I remember reading that as cortisol levels remain elevated, especially in men, due to excessive exercise, the potential for increased adipose tissue around the abdomen is higher.

I'd check out diet first though. Give yourself a chance to adapt to any "diet" you choose though. You'll probably hit a pretty big energy wall while you adjust. Stay the course and your already solid results will become spectacular.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:59 PM   #6
Colin Ching

Profile:

Ryan,

I've seen some similar results through my first 12 weeks of CF'ing. I started at 167#'s and am now 177#'s. My strength and endurance have continued to see amazing gains. I've recently (last 2 weeks) started two-a-days 3 days a week. I'm basically doing the 5 days on 2 days off. I'll be starting the Zone here in the next few weeks. It would be cool if you would keep us updated as to your progress so I can compair results. I would asume that my big weight gain is due to an increase in muscle mass but I'm no expert.

Colin
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #7
Ryan Shadrin

Profile:

All great input. Thanks. The concept of increased weight gain from cortisol is particularly interesting -- I have a concern that I may be overtraining (in addition to the WOD, I spend another sixty to ninety minutes aggressively training each day. Interestingly, though my strength has increased dramatically since the start of my Crossfit training, I've felt over the last two weeks as though I've plateaued or peaked, and my muscle size seems to actually have decreased slightly (of course that could be for any number of reasons). And yet, my CFT has gone from 640 in November to 745 in December to 775 last week.

I'll definitely keep checking in with updates as I get into a Zone diet plan and tweak my training intensity.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:03 PM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Overreaching (you're definitely not overtraining) does result in decreased performance or plateauing. Your body cannot recover from the amount of exercise you're putting into your muscles basically. You might want to take a half intensity week and see if you come back stronger. If it is, then yes you were overreaching.