CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-27-2008, 02:11 AM   #1
Sina Keshavarzi

Profile:
HIIT vs Crossfit?

Hi,

Question 1
I'm wondering what the differences Crossfit and "High Intensity Interval Training" HIIIT is. As I have understood it both involve interval training. In Crossfit the movements you perform and the interval rounds are supposed to reflect what you're normally involved with (e.g. 5 minute of sparring boxing so in Crossfit you do boxing related workout for 5 minutes and rest X minutes)

Therefore I don't quite understand, is Crossfit a form of interval training, is HIIIT just interval training with a high intensity and is Crossfit a form of HIIT or the other way around etc.

Question 2
I once read a book where the author said that to build endurance, strength and explosivity, the important factor is how much weight is lifted during a certain amount of time. Hence, e.g. in 2 minute if you are perform a movement, e.g. bench press, then if you put too on too much weight you might no be able to quickly perform so many reps. On the other hand if you have too little weight you might endure the entire 2 minutes and do quick reps, but total weight lifted in the 2 minute time period will not be as great as lifting a weight somewhere in the middle. In essence, what is regarded as key here is the Effect which is the amount of Work = force * displament over Time.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/a/1...baeb8dfef0.png

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts. Thank you so much in advance for the answer. I've been going crazy trying to figure these things out.

Sincerely,
Sina from Sweden
Old 01-27-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: HIIT vs Crossfit?

Q1:

There are some workouts in CF that are similar to interval training like fight gone bad, lynne (more or less), chelsea, and a couple of others. On the other hand, CF also utilizes concepts like tabatas (20s on, 10s off), metabolic conditiong (workouts done for time), heavy lifting, oly lifting, gymnastics, etc. to improve fitness. HIIT, itself, is very limited in the capacity that it mostly works the lower body and doesn't nearly cover all of the 10 components of fitness that CF is based on.

Read the FAQ and CF journal articles for more information.

Q2:

You didn't actually ask any questions. Most of CF workouts (the ones for time) are based on maximizing power thus eliciting gains in power, strength and endurance (as well as cardiovascular, etc. etc.). So yeah in effect.

Again, read the FAQ for more information...
Old 01-27-2008, 08:15 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Re: HIIT vs Crossfit?

To add to Steven's excellent answer:

HIIT is usually uses one format: running, rowing, swimming, etc.

CF: Uses a multi exercise approach: pullups, KB swings, handstand pushups.

Also, we do a lot of 5, 3, and 1 Rep Max training in the powerlifts and O-lifts.

The answers to questions involving physical activity can rarely, if ever, be answered with words. Try the WODs, they contain your answers.