CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #1
Leah Turner

Profile:
fingers, hand "going limp" and muscles twitching?

Sry to start a new thread for this, but maybe it will benefit others too.

At some point during Nasty Girls (I did it today) my pinkie finger on my right hand started to "go limp" and by the end of the workout it was my middle finger that hurt, on that same hand, the strange feeling stopping right before the wrist.

I think I did something on the jumping muscle ups specifically, but I am not sure.

This same pinkie has "gone limp" before but not as long (5 hours now). It kind of falls inward and twitches. My middle finger (from the knuckle down) has never hurt though, but feels strange.

I figure this will pass by tomorrow (I hope), but I'm just wondering what the cause is? I tried searching but either my abilities are limited or there isn't much out there (probably the former).

Thanks
Old 01-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: fingers, hand "going limp" and muscles twitching?

Since you mentioned wrist something in there might be impinging on the ulnar nerve which causes you to lose sensation and motor control. Have you had a wrist injury before or something that has hurt the wrist?

If this happens obviously just stop your workout. Aggravating a neurological symptom like that is NOT a good idea at all. It's possible that you can injure it significantly enough to lose motor control permanently. Same with all other injures just not something you want to mess around with as much as you want to complete a workout...
Old 01-27-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
Cal Jones

Profile:

Could also be an elbow issue. I had problems with my left little and ring fingers getting pins and needles because I often lean on my left elbow heavily when using the computer (the callus on my elbow is so bad people think it's a big bruise). It's worth getting checked out as it sounds like something is impinging somewhere.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Leah Turner

Profile:

The symptoms stop right BEFORE the wrist. However, I did break this wrist about 8 years ago, but no problems since then.

Related to the elbows, I coincidentally bumped right near the elbow very hard during the same WOD and have two very large bruises, especially on the right arm. (The rings were hanging on a pullup contraction that is not ideal).

My hand felt fine when I got up this morning, but now typing the fingers are feeling limp again.

What type of doctor would I go to about this (btw I don't have health insurance so...)? Would a chiropractor be of any benefit?

Thanks for your help! Although, I'm a little freaked out now.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Even though the wrist break is healed there could be some calcification or whatever along where the nerves run which impinges them when you bent it or use it. That's the concern I had which seems like it may be the case.

Um, yeah. I'm not sure where you should go for that (which type of doc). Maybe someone can chime in to help you out.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:05 PM   #6
Leah Turner

Profile:

Thanks for the help guys!

Until the symptoms go away does it seem fine to still workout, unless it starts to be more aggravated during a WOD?

I'm going to go the campus doc (who will probably be of no help) tomorrow and then also see if I can sneak in to the sports teams physical therapists. If not, I will try to see my chiropractor who isn't close by.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
Cal Jones

Profile:

Good luck - let us know the diagnosis!

I'd stick to movements that don't involve the wrist, eg, running, free squats (holding a bar behind your neck can strain the wrists), lunges, until you know what's wrong.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
Leah Turner

Profile:

I have an appt. w/ the campus doc tomorrow for what it's worth.

I did a running, squat, lunge centric tabata today.
But during warmup I definitely noticed that a light stretch w/ pvc over my head to my back and then front to chest, made my finger twitch and feel worse for that moment.

Also, I had some pain in the back of my head today, which I've never had before, and my right trap is sore and seems to hurt somehow in conjuction w/ the twitch in my fingers. And leaning on my elbow makes it feel worse. So either some of these things are connected, or I am indeed making all of this up. Does it make sense that they are all connected?
Old 01-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Could have something to do with a nerve running from your cervical vertebrae. The reason why I didn't mention that was because you said it was just from your wrist up. Now that you're exhibiting symptoms from the elbow and the trap area, it's possible that one of the cervical nerves is getting impinged somewhere along the line. To be honest could even be multiple impingements.

Have the doc look into that.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #10
Leah Turner

Profile:

Thank you Steve; I am going to be sure to take all this info. w/ me!