CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 01-23-2008, 04:52 PM   #1
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Kelly Moore's Crossfit/competition KB log

Time to start posting my training log again.

Goals for May KB Nationals: 190 jerks, 200 snatches with the 16k. The American Kettlebell Club doesn't have the 20k bell in production yet so I'll train with the assumption we will be using the 16k in May. The AKC plans to have women compete with the 20k bell in the future.

I've been doing jerks in the shower stall at work using a 16k bell with ten of those soft 1# wrist weight donuts taped to one side. It weighs 45# and has the old style thick handle. It works for jerks but I wouldn't try it for snatches.

I plan to mix up the weights, pacing and length of time more than I did last year. I was burned out from using only the 16k; I find I'm happier when playing with heavier weights and moving slower. Must be the powerlifter in me.

Today's workout:

5 minute 16k snatch set at 22 rpm. Hands in good condition; could have maintained that pace another 30 seconds per hand but no longer. How Catherine Imes does better than a 22 rpm pace for 10 minutes is beyond me. Damn. I've counted her doing 27 rpm for several minutes with each rep completely overhead and locked out - absolutely amazing. I can't come close to that kind of pace.

Crossfit WOD:

Four rounds for time:
row 500 meters
Rest 2 minutes

1:54 - damper 8
1:59 - damper 3
2:02 - damper 5
2:01 - damper 5

Lots of fatigue in my upper back. Fast kb snatches for time before rowing is tough. I didn't realize how much pulling I actually do during snatches.

4pm: 8 minute 52# jerk set - 31L/32R. I was very pleased with this workout. I haven't done 24k jerks in a long time so this was a happy surprise. I could have gone a full 10 minutes without struggle, but I had the timer counting down from eight minutes. Left side weaker but could have maintained. Right side strong, could have held a faster rpm. I have definitely become quicker getting under the bell. I didn't feel anything in the right shoulder, but the left shoulder was fatigued due to poor overhead position (arm a little forward and away). I will work hard on that problem. Both forearms bruised from the pressure despite wraps.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Erin Davidson

Profile:
Re: Kelly Moore's Crossfit/competition KB log

Hi, Kelly. I just wanted to say...personally, I'm REALLY glad you're posting in a log. I read through your old one and was pretty heartbroken to see that it stopped. I'm new to all this and it's so amazing to see where your hard work and discipline has taken you.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #3
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Thanks Erin! With the new season starting it's time to start another training log. I'm thinking that keeping the same two lifts (jerks and snatches) but mixing up the weight, pace and time will keep things more varied and interesting. I'm curious to see the results.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Kelly Frankson

Profile:

Hey Kelly, question for you about your Damper settings and stroke rates on your rows.

At the level 1 cert in Vancouver Angela Hart? Did a rowing seminar and was talking about damper settings and stroke rates and how there is no need to go above a damper setting of 6 and the most efficient stroke will be kept between 28-32 strokes/minute.

I have fooled around with the damper settings but I still find my fastest 500m times are at a setting of 10. I go from a 1:46 at 10, to around 2:00 if I move it down around 5. I also find that my stroke rate stays fairly high-even when I did the 5k row last week (at a damper setting of 6) my stroke rate stayed around 32 strokes per minute.

Just curious what your experience with the rowers was.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #5
Bruce (BJ) Bliffert

Profile:

Hi Kelly,

I have followed your log on a another site and like the way you have melded your GS training with CF and am trying to mimic it.

I have told myself I'll go the full 10:00 by the end of 2008 w/ a 24kg.

Happy training, enjoy the sub zero weather we're having!!

BJ
Old 01-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #6
Gina Johnson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Davidson View Post
Hi, Kelly. I just wanted to say...personally, I'm REALLY glad you're posting in a log. I read through your old one and was pretty heartbroken to see that it stopped. I'm new to all this and it's so amazing to see where your hard work and discipline has taken you.
I second that!
I'm your age Kelly and I love seeeing your incredible strength gains. Thank you, thank you, thank you for inspiring me as well as many, many others and for your future postings
Old 01-25-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Hi Kelly,

I'm a bad person to ask about rowing - my technique is wretched and, except the WODs, I don't do anything with the rower. Catherine Imes has watched me row and she will admit it's about as bad as possible. Since I know nothing about rowing and wasn't expecting anything I was just playing with the damper settings. I'm sorry I can't be any help.

Hey BJ,

You've got a good start with the 16k; it won't take you long to get 10 minutes with that weight. Once you do that start over again with the 24 and work your way to 10 minutes. You'll have it before the end of 2008.

I agree the weather here in the upper midwest has been interesting. It's so cold my Ipod that was stashed in the inside pocket of my jacket froze up during the third hour of shoveling snow. It's been a wicked winter so far.

Good luck to you and Kori with the TSC. You both have great numbers!

Good Morning Gina!

Thanks for reading my posts....it's good to know there are other women my age taking care of their health and enjoying the WODs. Awesome!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:31 AM   #8
Kelly Moore

Profile:

6 minute 16k kb snatch set: 60L/64R 20/21 rpm. Hands in good condition, no cramping.

5 minute break.

Crossfit WOD:

3 rounds for time of:
50 Squats
7 Muscle-ups
95 pound Hang power cleans, 10 reps

9:01

At work in shower stall:

6 minute 20k jerk set: 40L/43R. 13/14 rpm pace. 13 rpm is a little too fast for me to maintain for five minutes with the left, 13 might be a little slow. Reminder - remove socks before jerking on carpet. Slipping feet not good.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 AM   #9
Kelly Moore

Profile:

Just finished four solid hours of shoveling snow...and it's starting up again. Too much snow to do tabata invertals - it was more like paced kb sets for time instead.

Wisconsin has had more than it's share of snow and below 0 degree temperatures so far this year. At least the snowmobilers are happy!
Old 01-27-2008, 06:30 AM   #10
Kelly Moore

Profile:

6 minute 16k kb snatch: 63L/63R. 21 rpm.

Back Squat: 260
Shoulder Press: 115
Deadlift: 275
Crossfit total = 650

Lower back, shoulders and neck sore from the many hours of snow shoveling the past several days. Wearing heeled shoes rather than barefoot helped the squat. (Considering how sore I am, I needed the help!)

A repeat of my first Crossfit WOD done for a short article I was asked to write:

50 pullups
200 squats
75 pushups

7:27. Down considerably from the 14:10 of June 2003! I know my pullups of old were terrible....I had no elbow extension. They were "halfway down pullups". All of today's kipping pullups done without a break - very, very easy. Pushups slowed me down....shoulders are whipped.