CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
Patrick Poblocki

Profile:
Overtraining and Muscular Soreness

I've been CF'n for about one month now and I've noticed considerable gains to my metabolic conditioning. My strength, I feel has gone down overall--coming from a predominantly strenght training regimine. My cardiovascular endurance seems to be about the same; this is an estimate based on how well I know my body. That said, I find myself perpetually sore. I get totally amped up by these workouts (usually at 2/3pm) and can't fall asleep at night--this may also be a factor. I eat six times a day (everyday!) with protein in each meal. My general question is in regards to the idea that I'm in a constant catabolic state from which I can't recover. Other than this worry, I love CF. Can anyone offer some insight as to how to determine if you're overtrained and risking injury, or some information on how CF is structured so as to avoid overtraining/injury risks? Thanks for the help!
Pobs
Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Overtraining and Muscular Soreness

Take a couple days off.

If your performance is decreasing that's usually a sign of overreaching. Doubt you are overtraining. Here's some other symptoms though wfs:

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/cs/o.../aa062499a.htm

P.S. you do NOT want to be sore. You can work through it but crippling soreness hinders workouts which is why you should scale if you are getting long lasting soreness.

P.P.S. metabolic conditioning SHOULD increase your cardiovascular endurance quite a bit so the weights might be a bit too heavy for you.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Cal Jones

Profile:

Cut back. 3 on 1 off is too much for me, personally. I'm normally pretty robust but I was ill a ridiculous amount last year, after I started Crossfit, so I have cut back. Not everyone can be Greg or Eva - some of us need more time to recuperate. I am currently doing 1 on 1 off and if I need extra rest I will take it. Occassionally I'll do two days in a row but only if I'm going away for a weekend and need to make up the time (with sick elderly parents at one end of the country and my boyfriend at the other, I am away quite a few weekends).
Try 2 on 1 off and see how it goes. Don't think that taking more rest than Rx'd makes you a *****. Taking less than you need makes you a fool; you will get sick and/or injured somewhere down the line.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Both Steven's and Cal's posts contain excellent advice. I overdid it jumping into a 5/2 program. I wish I did one day on and the next off. Recover and eat well. Ramp up slowly. Scale workouts. Read the FAQ's, Brand-X workouts, discussion threads on exercize and injuries. Good luck.
Old 01-23-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Patrick Poblocki

Profile:

Thanks all for the advice. What I like so much about CF is the "never quit" attitude. It's a tough pill to swallow that this program, as prescribed, may lead to burn out
Old 01-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #6
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Poblocki View Post
Thanks all for the advice. What I like so much about CF is the "never quit" attitude. It's a tough pill to swallow that this program, as prescribed, may lead to burn out
The program if not properly utilized may lead to burnout. Even if properly used, individuals may require more rest between workouts, depending on sleep, diet, pre-existing conditions, and other things. Of course, I overdid it by week 7 even with slow ramp-up, and scaling workouts.
My Motto as a CF Addict is: Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
Roelant Bergen

Profile:

As a noob to CrossFit (bout 6months doing it now...) the 3/1 split is tough especially when you're a student. I find that (at least for now) having intermittent workouts (still about 4, sometimes 5x/week) not necessarily 3 in a row (e.g. 2 straight days/1 off, then 1/1, then 3/1....etc) because of when I have class/time constraints is good for my body to recover, especially on those days when I muster up enough courage to tackle WODs like Fran. I just recently started weighing and measuring on the Zone, so I'll see how that pans out as far as recovery. In terms of over-reaching, I agree, I actually overtrained a lot in the past two weeks, plus projects, lack of sleep landed me a nice little cold. I think I'm going to have to de-escalate the intensity of my workouts for the next couple of days (anybody know if crossfit worsens a cold?).....that and some sleep would be good too, LOL
Old 01-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelant Bergen View Post
As a noob to CrossFit (bout 6months doing it now...) the 3/1 split is tough especially when you're a student. I find that (at least for now) having intermittent workouts (still about 4, sometimes 5x/week) not necessarily 3 in a row (e.g. 2 straight days/1 off, then 1/1, then 3/1....etc) because of when I have class/time constraints is good for my body to recover, especially on those days when I muster up enough courage to tackle WODs like Fran. I just recently started weighing and measuring on the Zone, so I'll see how that pans out as far as recovery. In terms of over-reaching, I agree, I actually overtrained a lot in the past two weeks, plus projects, lack of sleep landed me a nice little cold. I think I'm going to have to de-escalate the intensity of my workouts for the next couple of days (anybody know if crossfit worsens a cold?).....that and some sleep would be good too, LOL
Exercize(see also exertion)taxes the immune system. I've had a little cold/sore throat that kept me out of the gym for a month. We've had a thread about working out while sick. I don't think it's worth it. As an addict I can tell you to stay in bed, drink hot liquid, curl up next to some cf videos and other website info. Feel better.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:52 PM   #9
Andy Rogers

Profile:

Here are a couple things I recognize looking back at my start to CF. They're in no particular order but maybe you can get some perspective from them while maintaining your motivation.

Thousands of people use the workouts RXed on the website. It's important to realise that all those people are not necessarily doing all the workouts. People take breaks. People travel. People get sick. The web site however always provides a challenge. It's hard to self-manage and miss a workout if you need to. It's also tough not to 'make up' for missed days. I found it particularly hard to skip workouts I'd never done before. I was curious how I'd do on them. Give it time though... they'll come back 'round.

Regardless of your fitness level, there are likely workouts that will tax you more than others. While I prided myself on my performance in areas where I had no previous experience, I didn't allow myself to scale in areas of weekness. I was like, "Hey! I don't need to scale squats so I shouldn't scale my deadlifts!" The result was 6 weeks of light duty while my back healed.

Anyway, it's easy to get manic when you're just starting. At least I did. The fact that you're asking the question means you probably already realise what your body is telling you to do.

Rest up and then get after it! =)
Old 01-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
Aaron Van

Profile:

Patrick, I've been there with you. Constantly sore and determined to keep giving it my all at every single workout. More than a few times I've met pukie and more than a few times I've knocked myself out for 5 days because my muscles were so sore I could barely move.

It's hard to "ramp up" to the intensities prescribed here. And it's hard to not give a 100% all the time, but you gotta let the body adapt.

Carefully reading Greg's article below really help me realize that I've gotta work up to the levels that are being prescribed.

http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...t_Recovery.pdf

Hope it helps.