CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #11
Fran Mason

Profile:
Thanks Beth. Wow, several 40+ women, that's so cool. I feel like exercising hard is making me younger too, especially the gymnastics part of CrossFit. So fun!

I think about exercise as an investment in my long-term future, just like saving in the 401(k) is. If I stay fit, my life should be longer and better. If I stay extremely fit, I'll be hiking and camping at 80.

Similar to investing financially, I'd sort of like to develop specific goals for old age. For instance, maintain ability to do a cartwheel. I hope to mortify the grandnieces and nephews at the 2045 family reunion with my cartwheels.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #12
Tim Smith

Profile:
Right on, Fran. I am 47, male, and a competitive volleyball player. My competition is guys in their 20s and 30s. The Crossfit program has contributed significantly to my ability to compete by increasing both my strength and endurance, and rejuvenated my confidence and enthusiasm for the game.

I think you are on the right track.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:08 PM   #13
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hey Fran, I'm way ahead of you! I can already mortify people with my cartwheels...(because I can't do one). I'm thinking muscle-ups for 75th birthday...
Old 01-18-2005, 12:12 PM   #14
Mikki Lee Martin

Profile:
Fran,
I have a morning CrossFit class, usually mostly ladies, plenty of them over 40. I am 42.
I have always been athletic and active,running and softball, volleyball in my twenties,the gym in my thirties, been doing Kickboxing Krav Maga and Kenpo for the last ten years. However, I have only been doing CrossFit for about 6 months. I started with twice a week and now I do it 4-5 times a week.
I am in the best condition of my life, never been stronger (lifting heavier weights) never had better endurance (run without being as winded before) Injuries which had plagued me, knee shoulder tendonitis in the forearms a weak left wrist, low back issues etc. are all but entirely gone. This program has strengthened my weaknesses and accentuated my strengths. I think at the very least where one might see a physiological drop in bone density, tendon problems, arthritic issues with age, CroosFit is keeping those things at bay. However, I believe it is doing much more than that. My personal experience is that those areas are improving rather than declining.
Several of the ladies coming into my classes
arrive with a host of problems. The feedback I have gotten from them is spectacular, problems are receding, strenghts are showing. Everyone is having fun and loosing weight. Its all good
Muscle up is definately on my list too, and there is no way my age will keep from it !
Old 01-18-2005, 01:28 PM   #15
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Fran - my perspective as a 49 year old male is probably less useful to you than the results of the 3 thirty somethings that I train. They are all housewives from my neighborhood with minimal athletic background. One of them recently sprained her ankle doing an exercise I call over/unders where you jump over an 18" bar and then crawl back under it. She landed funny on her right foot and sprained her ankle. What was significant was that she told me she had never hurt herself before. Now that is what I call a sheltered life. She has gone from that kind of hidden from the hardness of life existance to being able to snatch a 36 pound KB, do 100 consecutive flutterkicks and climb a 14' tall inverted rope ladder angled at 30 degrees.

One of them runs a bit but has developed achilles tendonitis. She has not been able to run for quite some time and has been very worried that when she is finally able to hit the road again she will be in miserable running shape. I have tried to convince her that CrossFit has a wonderful crossover into other sports and that when she can run again she will likely find that she has lost very little, if any of of her running prowess. She decidided to take a good hard walk around the neighborhood recently and told me that now matter how hard she walked, no matter how far she walked she could not make herself tired. She was very excited.

All of them report amazing increases in strength manifested in the ease with which they go through their day. One of them told me she picked up some Christmas stuff from that way up high in the garage shelf and she thought the box was empty. It was the same box she put up the year before but now it was easier for her to pick up, hold and carry.

All of them look much, much better than when they started and all of their husbands love the changes in their looks. Though I have invited them none of the husbands want to come over to work out with us and I am sure it is an ego based refusal. They don't want their wives smoking them on a WOD.

As others have said your attitude is what is important. Keep a logbook and chart your progress in the girls and other landmark workouts. Go run a 10k or 5k to use as a baseline score later on. Take pictures and measurements of yourself to look back on six months from now.

You have discovered what Ponce deLeon never found.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:48 PM   #16
Fran Mason

Profile:
Thanks Eugene! I'm one of the women who had fun with Samantha while you were smoking most of us on the SoS last week. Nice to meet you here as well.

So cool that your female clients are seeing gains in abilities related to daily household activities. It would be great to hear their perspective/expectations/goals here as well. Too bad about their husbands not joining in. My husband and I work out together and it is lots of fun to be able to talk about it nonstop without boring each other ;-)

I know what you mean about logging the progress. It's rewarding. I like technology so I blog my log.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:08 PM   #17
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
For what it's worth:

My girlfriend has won several age-division world championships in dance as well as a national masters weightlifting championship. She also set a few national masters weightlifting records. She participated in neither activity until she hit her 40s.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:21 PM   #18
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I wanted to wait and let the cross fit women have a go at it. I would tell you we all look up to Kelly and Lynne, most guys in their 20s wish they could come close to their fitness levels! I think we all have a long way to go to reach our genetic potential. I started crossfit in 2003, I have rarely nor exceeded a previous time on a WOD. I came into crossfit as a 40 year old athlete with an extensive background in weight lifting and gymnastics, yet I am in greater shape today than I was last month! Consistancy is the key, keep the good additude and do the WOD to the best of your ability.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:50 AM   #19
Jim Howe

Profile:
My wife is 56. In the 9 months since she started crossfit she has been making dramatic gains. She has done 30 good quality kipping pullups during a WOD (2-3 per set) and has made great strength and endurance improvements in skate skiing due entirely to Crossfit. She was sold on Crossfit after air squats "cured" a chronic knee injury
More importantly, after 20 years of marriage, in gives us something else in common and keeps our day-to-day life exciting. It's quite funny to see us hobbling around and hear us complain about how sore we are....and it isn't from being unfit!

Tommie isn't much for "message board motivation", like I am, but I just wanted to write this.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:02 AM   #20
Fran Mason

Profile:
Wow! Thanks Jim. Your wife must be so strong. That's fantastic.

My husband and I are the same way, always talking about working out, and hobbling around the house. I hope to reach 30 kipping pull-ups someday, maybe by the time I'm 56! Er, I mean, by the time I've been practicing for 9 months!