CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Dave J Campbell

Profile:
Crossfit vs Gym Jones Training Styles

What exactly is the difference between crossfit training and Gym Jones training?

Old 01-14-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
Jeff Yan

Profile:
Re: Crossfit vs Gym Jones

There's probably more to it, but I think you need to be in Salt Lake City for one and anywhere else in the world for the other.

Old 01-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #3
Gregory L. Johnson

Profile:

Crossfit is a community and Gym Jones is elitist.

You will learn more and get more support from the Crossfit website than you ever will from the Gym Jones website.

Check-out the WODs on the Gym Jones website. Then try to find out what the exercises are, how to perform them properly, and what the rationale is behind them. Oh, and try to figure out which WOD you should be doing. Sometimes there are multiple.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Gym Jones website. I wouldn't have discovered Crossfit if it weren't for Gym Jones.

Old 01-14-2008, 12:22 PM   #4
Trevor Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregory L. Johnson View Post
Crossfit is a community and Gym Jones is elitist.

You will learn more and get more support from the Crossfit website than you ever will from the Gym Jones website.

Check-out the WODs on the Gym Jones website. Then try to find out what the exercises are, how to perform them properly, and what the rationale is behind them. Oh, and try to figure out which WOD you should be doing. Sometimes there are multiple.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Gym Jones website. I wouldn't have discovered Crossfit if it weren't for Gym Jones.
I found Crossfit via Gym Jones as well. Comparing the two I like Crossfit better because it is accessable to everyone. There are some great things about Gym Jones but l agree with the above posts that it is too elitest for me. Since starting Crossfit I have received all kinds of support and encouragement and I think that if I would have asked the same questions to Mark Twight (Owner of Gym Jones) he would have told me to F*%$@ off. That is the difference.

Old 01-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Dave J Campbell

Profile:

So I'm take it the workouts are pretty much the same then? I did get the feeling reading some threads about GYM Jones that there program was more designed for ultra endurance type activites.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:05 PM   #6
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Similar concepts.

But the relevant difference, as Jeff said, is that Gym Jones is a physical gym that does not have affiliates, and is invitation-only anyway, so you're probably not going to train there, and that's the only difference that matters.

Old 01-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
Travis Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave J Campbell View Post
I did get the feeling reading some threads about GYM Jones that there program was more designed for ultra endurance type activites.
Yes. This is true. CF WOD's should never take more then twenty minutes, most less then five for elites.

The Gym Jones workouts go on forever.... I would need someone else in the room just to keep track of the dozen things Iím supposed to do!

Old 01-14-2008, 03:31 PM   #8
Brad Gantt

Profile:

Ignoring the questions regarding appropriation of ideas or due credit, there are some significant differences. Principally that the WODs are a record of what was done by different athletes on different days. They are not a prescription for what you should do at home or in your own gym. On any given day, athletes will be doing several different workouts rather than one WOD. Given that Mark's background is in ultra-endurance and power-endurance, that is a focus of their training. Additionally, they train a number of fighters at the GJ facility.

It has been documented in other threads that Mark Twight differs from CF in his approach to training athletes for endurance pursuits in particular and incorporates training modalities that vary significantly from what is offered via CrossFit. Contrary to what other posters have stated or assumed, I have found Mark to be very responsive and friendly when I have taken the time to ask a question or make a comment. Personally, I could do without some of the elitist attitude on the site but then it's Mark's gym, not mine.

I take no sides in the controversy as I prefer not to engage in hearsay. Over the past couple of years I have learned much from both Gym Jones and CF and look forward to doing so in the future.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Renamed thread (adding "Training Styles") to clarify (and limit) the discussion topic.

Excessive deviation from that topic will get it closed.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Crossfit vs Gym Jones Training Styles

*Okay, David, never mind*

Closed Thread