CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
Allan Luomala

Profile:
Portable plyo boxes??

I have a question/proposal: would there be a possible requirement or demand for a portable plyo box?? I ask this, after reading the post Bill Russell had on his home-made plyo boxes (nice work, BTW, Bill) (http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=14272

I made my own plyo box a while back, but in my zeal to build the Best Plyo Box Ever (tm), I didn't factor in that it would be pretty honkin' big. So big, in fact, that it won't fit into my car (the base is too wide, and it's too tall (24")). So, if I want to take it with me (to the base gym, for example, as the concept of a plyo box seems to be foreign to them, and me jumping onto their benches would likely cause someone to have an aneurysm ), I need to use our van to transport it. And, due to it's overall hugeness, I need to store it in the garage (rather than in the basement, where I work out in the winter). In hindsight, I recall this being one of the issues that people brought up against plyo boxes versus other methods (stacking weight plates, jumping onto weight benches, etc) that were more space-effective.

So, to build a better mouse trap..... I am thinking about something that looks like the classic plywood plyo box (with sloping sides, and a generous landing area), but that could be folded up, and/or broken down to make it portable (or more portable). Anyone who has seen collapsible carts might see what I'm getting at: http://www.myop.com.au/img/productIm...rbig/87505.gif

Of course, it would have to be sturdy enough to have my 200 pound carcass land on it after a 24" jump. I may have to play with Sketchup to make some prototypes, and look for hardware that would allow my vision to come to fruition. I think that might be my biggest stumbling block to an AFFORDABLE solution to my problem, as my "normal" plyo box came out to a reasonable cost (using good quality plywood, screws and finish), which was around $60, IIRC.

If there are any engineers, or inventive minds, out there, feel free to float suggestions at how I might accomplish this task, or if anybody has had simpler ways of utilizing other objects as plyo boxes that are equal to (or better) a "normal" plyo box in stability/ruggedness, but more portable. I know of the irrigation boxes (which I found about after I made my plyo box ), but those aren't particularly portable, or space friendly. And, IIRC, they are only 20" high, maximum, which can easily be solved by some form of riser, but it is a limitation nonetheless.

AL
Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
John Edmondson

Profile:
Re: Portable plyo boxes??

I don't know how inventive a mind I have, but I am a carpenter, for what it's worth. This popped into my head: cut all four side pieces the same size, say 20"x20" (for this example we'll say 3/4" plywood). Fasten the sides together with piano hinges, so now you'll have a wiggly, collapsable four sided box with the hinges on the inside. Cut the top 21 1/2"x21 1/2" (the outside dimensions of our wiggly box). Cut another piece 20"x20" (the inside dimensions), and center it on the top piece, fasten with glue and screws. When you put the top in place, the inset 20"x20" piece locks the whole assembly square. Come to think of it, you could (and probably should) make a bottom in the same fashion as the top to further strengthen it. You could mess with the dimensions any way you want. The key is a fairly tight fit with the inset piece, and the piano hinges. I don't think regular cabinet hinges would stand up to the abuse. Of course, this could be total rubbish, but I like the idea. The only way to know for sure is to build it and jump on it. Hope this helps.
Best, John
Old 01-12-2008, 12:12 AM   #3
Zachary Cohn

Profile:

I am planning on building some Parkour vaulting boxes (think concrete barricade shape), and I'm trying to devise a method of making them portable. **Warning: I don't actually know any of the correct terms for things... I'm sorry. ** My best idea, which I think you could use as well, would be some method of interlocking them (so one side has poles sticking out, and the other has shafts for these poles to slide into), and then latches or clamps (like this: http://www.inlandrv.com/parts/19183-latch.jpg (W/F/S)) inside to make sure they don't slide out.

So in terms of plyo-boxes, you might be able to do something similar.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:29 AM   #4
Kris Warner

Profile:

I have been tinkering with this for a while. I have a few solutions that appear to work. Similar to what has been said but I have a background in engineering and fastener systems for composite hurricane shutters. Wood is the easiest to work with. Composites and plastics will save weight but then are not easy to work with.

Is someone willing to pay $100-$150 for a portable plyobox? Doubt it (and even if there are how many people will actually buy them), so I have stopped working on it in the near term and put my efforts into other projects. When time frees up maybe I will go at it again.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Rob Little

Profile:

I have a design that we use for collapsible dirt bike stands, tables, stools, etc. My father who is a master carpenter designed it. Super simple and clean.

I don't think it will make a good jump box because the top has a lip that could snag your toe. It does have 10 degree sides and is super strong. Here are a few pictures.
http://pro38.net/DIY_Plans.htmlYOU MUST ANNOTATE ALL LINKS AS TO WHETHER WORK AND FAMILY SAFE
Old 11-15-2011, 04:24 AM   #6
Benji Whitehead

Profile:

There's probably a way to make one with eye-bolts on the inside so you could connect the opposite sides with a cable and small turnbuckle. (Links are safe)

Figuring out how to situate the hinges so you could fold it / unfold it would be the hard part.

Somebody smarter than me will have a better idea soon.

(I just realized this was from '08 so Allan has probably either built what he wanted or given up by now!!)
Old 11-15-2011, 05:25 AM   #7
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

The idea of a collapsable box is a good one. Maybe we just need to focus on a design for a box that is very easy to construct an ship. We have seen some 'jigsaw' type boxes out there which is an excellent idea.

The question is...would anyone want a box that you could disassemble and reassemble over and over?

Thanks for any feedback.