CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-10-2008, 07:09 PM   #1
Jason Knust

Profile:
Angry front squat wrist pain?

So when I do front squats (and to a lesser extent cleans) my wrist really hurt. Does anybody else have this problem? is it just a flexibility issue I just need to work through?
Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: front squat wrist pain?

Could be a flexibility issue. In rack position your hands don't have to be around the bar.. they can have only a couple of fingers or so around the bar instead if your wrists just aren't that flexible. Work on it, but don't overstress your wrists.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Scott McDougall

Profile:

I actually canít get to the rack position like recommended. Can't get near it. When I get my elbows in that position my hands are basically behind my head. When I did the WOD with all front squats I had to cross my arms to get it comfortable.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:03 AM   #4
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Use the search function, please.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=25753

Not three days ago the same question was discussed.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #5
Chris Cunningham

Profile:

I have the same wrist problem. I find that crossing my arms helps tremendously, just make sure you push your elbows forward on the way down for correct balance. Hard to get into that position from the ground if you're alone, so get a partner for help or make sure you take it off a squat rack.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #6
Carlos Cristan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McDougall View Post
I actually canít get to the rack position like recommended. Can't get near it. When I get my elbows in that position my hands are basically behind my head. When I did the WOD with all front squats I had to cross my arms to get it comfortable.
I was having this exact same problem the last time we did front squats on the main page which was a 3-3-3-3-3 and I only got up to 65# because of the wrist and finger pain. Like you i crossed my arms in front of me to gain some relief. This is what helped me fix it maybe it will work for you:

Using only the barbell in the rack position cross your arms like you have been and focus on how the bar feels on your front delts (assuming that you are supporting the weight with your front delts or trying to in this position and not your upper arms or biceps) Then with the bar racked on a squat stand I placed my front delts underneath the bar, letting the arms hang free and attempted just raising it out of the rack an inch or two using only my front delts without using my hands. When I got to where I could raise the bar out of the rack with my shoulders not using any hands and was familiar with how the weight should sit on my shoulders then and only then did I place my hands on the bar for stability instead of support, as that was what my problem was all along. On this last main page front squat WOD which was a 1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1 I bumped up 10 each rep from 95# and got to 185# 1RM with literally no wrist or finger strain at all. Im no expert but IMHO I think your issue is an improper rack position.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #7
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott McDougall View Post
I have the same issue, Scott. I hold all the weight with my delts, and cross my arms like "I dream of Genie" for stabilization. But there is NO WAY I can reach the bar with my fingertips at all when it's resting on my front delts. Neither can my wife.

Here's a question; Where does the flexibility increase to alleviate this condition? Seems to me, when looking at my form, that physics are being pushed to the limit, not a lack of flexibility. When I bend my arm upward toward my shoulder (even sitting here at my desk) my wrist is fully in line with my shoulder already. I feel that getting my hand and fingers to then bend "back" to where the wrist is would be unreasonable.

Could this be a body type issue? Long-time oly lifters please chime in.

Thanks.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:50 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

I cannot touch my shoulders with my hands.. elbow doesn't bend far enough to allow me to do that. For front squats I just rest the bar on the delts and maybe have a finger or two. The higher you get your elbows up the easier it is to do this (as well as keep a straight back).

Again, some may be flexibility... but some just can't do it so you gotta modify stuff to fit your body.
Old 01-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #9
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
I cannot touch my shoulders with my hands.. elbow doesn't bend far enough to allow me to do that. For front squats I just rest the bar on the delts and maybe have a finger or two. The higher you get your elbows up the easier it is to do this (as well as keep a straight back).

Again, some may be flexibility... but some just can't do it so you gotta modify stuff to fit your body.
Well, the higher I get my elbows, the farther behind my shoulders my hands go. So I guess it might be as much body type as anything. That's somewhat comforting. However, I'll keep stretching daily to see how my arms/wrists will respond.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Try praying behind your back. I find it to be a good stretch for the rack position. Once you can get your palms together behind your back racking a barbell is cake.