CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
Anna Foteini Hawkins

Profile:
Pain under collar bone

For the past week I have had this slowly-developing pain just under my collar bone that is at its worst as I move back up from the bottom of the dip and push-up. Overhead squats don't feel great either.

I did a search for similar threads before posting, but none of them were answered by Mr. Steven Low, so I thought I would give it a try! Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Pain under collar bone

Can you be more specific as to where (superior, inferior, anterior, posterior)? I'll include a few pictures so you can point out specific areas. And only bottom of dip, pushups and OHS -- no other exercises?

wfs
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/brknclav.gif
http://www.cartoonbarry.com/h5551418.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...b9/Gray200.png
Old 01-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
Anna Foteini Hawkins

Profile:

ok, the pain is directly under my collar bone in that small dip at the top of my pec. it has only been bothering me for the past few days and the exercises in last week's workouts where i really felt it were push-ups, dips, and ohs (in the warm-up). i was sick on the day we did cleans. thanks again for your help.
Old 01-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Try to take some time off. If you feel the need to workout try to do things that don't use your shoulders or at the very least do nothing that hurts it.

If push your fingers into that area is it sore at all or squishy-ish (sign of swelling)? If so, it's probably more or less overworked or swelling is pushing on something with is causing the pain. Generally rest is gonna fix that. Massage to the area should help. Ice after any exercise -- stop if exercises hurts. There's a lot of nerves around that area so I mean if there's swelling or irritation that's what is going to push on them and cause pain (wfs):

http://www.nerveblocks.net/_static/u...en_EN/abb1.jpg

In addition, how's your posture? It might be a good idea to stretch your chest/shoulder if they're tight. The doorway stretch is a good one where you can put your arm at the edge of a doorway and then lunge through the doorway some and you should feel the stretch through your shoulder and chest. Should open up a bit of room there.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #5
Anna Foteini Hawkins

Profile:

thanks so much for the help.

it isn't squishy there, just really tender, but you are completely right about the posture. my posture is horrible. i will definitely try that doorway stretch. thanks again!
Old 01-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
Gabrielle Shenberg

Profile:

I have "issues" as well with my clavicals as well as shoulder pain. About a year and 1/2 ago, I underwent surgery and the orthopedic doctor removed at least 1.5 inches of my right clavical. I was supposed to have it done on my left shoulder later on....I have not. Also.....I have two cervical ribs which....when I'm doing overhead lifts or have a barbell on my shoulders....PINCH A NERVE BIG TIME!!!
My pec muscles and traps are very built up and tight!!! I have been off lifting for quite some time and have been trying to get back at it.
One thing, that is "drawing" me to CrossFit is.....I'm a shortie and many of the machines at the gym...."just don't fit".....I feel that they can cause more harm than good.
So....this is my year of learning something new and learn to be creative with working out.
OH....and my pain is basically underlying....constant!
I really need to stretch.
Taking my arm, bending at the elbow and placing it behing my back relieves some pain...
We don't even want to talk about my NECK!!!
SO many other people have worse "ailments" than me....I gotta' push on.....
Old 01-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Taking my arm, bending at the elbow and placing it behing my back relieves some pain...
Sounds like fairly poor posture (resulting in a very tight neck, hunched shoulders, etc.) which often leads to pain in the... neck, shoulders and chest area. Go figure, right?

Stretching would be a very, very, very, very good idea. Work on your scapular retraction as well.
Old 01-28-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Gabrielle Shenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Sounds like fairly poor posture (resulting in a very tight neck, hunched shoulders, etc.) which often leads to pain in the... neck, shoulders and chest area. Go figure, right?

Stretching would be a very, very, very, very good idea. Work on your scapular retraction as well.
Oh...You are good. You are very right. I'm in front of a computer ALL day. I have NO arch in my neck left...{hence forward neck sydrome}, my traps and pecs are extremely TIGHT!
Went to another chiropractor because my last one {whom was awesome} is relocating. This new dr. is nice and an acupuncturist...but I'm really not sure he has the physical ability to adjust me. He was trying to adjust my spine in the upper thoracic area....and my collar bones "popped" and pain was involved...he "tried" to adjust my neck...and it didn't go too well. I've been in pain ever since ~ there was heat radiating from my clavicle area as well.......He's not even addressing my hip...
You mentioned scapular retraction....what stretches can I do...
Old 01-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Yeah, I had forward neck syndrome really pretty bad. I fixed that easily by contracting my neck flexors and focusing on pulling my neck back using the back of my neck muscles. This is fairly easy to do and if you remind yourself constantly it will be fixed in a month. HOWEVER, you will get massive amounts of soreness in probably your neck flexors as well as the cervical neck area.

Stick through it, and you can correct it. Discipline is #1 here even when it's sore and tight (the sore and tightness will go away as it normalizes).

Here's what I fixed through some awesome advice from one of my friends (this was the norm)
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...1873wv2.th.jpg

For scapular retractors there are no stretches. You do want to get them active by doing band dislocates as well as any exercises that involve scapular retraction and pulling generally. Bent over row are good as well as any other type of rowing focusing on squeezing them together in back.

Stretch your chest out with doorway stretches. wfs
http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/ChestGeneral/Doorway.html

Last edited by Steven Low : 01-28-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:26 AM   #10
Gabrielle Shenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Yeah, I had forward neck syndrome really pretty bad. I fixed that easily by contracting my neck flexors and focusing on pulling my neck back using the back of my neck muscles. This is fairly easy to do and if you remind yourself constantly it will be fixed in a month. HOWEVER, you will get massive amounts of soreness in probably your neck flexors as well as the cervical neck area.

Stick through it, and you can correct it. Discipline is #1 here even when it's sore and tight (the sore and tightness will go away as it normalizes).

Here's what I fixed through some awesome advice from one of my friends (this was the norm)
http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/7...1873wv2.th.jpg

For scapular retractors there are no stretches. You do want to get them active by doing band dislocates as well as any exercises that involve scapular retraction and pulling generally. Bent over row are good as well as any other type of rowing focusing on squeezing them together in back.

Stretch your chest out with doorway stretches. wfs
http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/ChestGeneral/Doorway.html
Since I'm in front of a computer...this is a constant "battle"...I've been trying to pull my head/neck back where it should be...that lasts about 15 seconds...then I "forget"...and try again.
Umm...sorry to sound naive....BAND DISLOCATES???
Thanks for all your advice!