CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
Zach Mitchell

Profile:
Exclamation Overweight -- how do I start?

From what I have read, CrossFit is intense. I am probably about 65-80 lbs over weight.

Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me that alot of these exercises require one to move their body weight. How should someone like me, who can't do a pull-up to save his life, first engage CrossFit workouts?

Should I lose weight through diet first? Should I jump feet first into both? Or are there tricks (I hate to say "tricks" cause that sounds like cheating the exercise)?

Thanks in advance -- Zach Mitchell
Old 12-03-2007, 08:52 PM   #2
Scott A Martin

Profile:
Re: Overweight -- how do I start?

Welcome to the community.

You can scale the WODs as necessary. Using your example of pullups, you can do jumping pullups or assisted pullups. Most bodyweight exercises can be modified to one's level of fitness.

Many WODs will take you a long time to complete, even when scaled. Don't be discouraged when you see some of the times posted in the comments on the main page. There are some really fit people doing Crossfit. Just finish the workouts, even if it takes forever.

There is an affiliate that posts scaled WODs everyday. I'm not sure what the URL is but I'm sure someone will be nice enough to post it. You can start off that way, if you'd like. Obviously diet will factor into your progress, but I wouldn't wait on getting started with the WODs. Just do the best you can and the results will follow.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 PM   #3
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

In the lower right hand margin of the main page, you'll find a link to BrandX Martial Arts, which posts convenient scalings of the daily WOD's. Begin there, and slowly work your way up the ladder. Getting a start on diet right now would help you reach that. See this (Work/Family Safe) file for a quick summary of the Zone diet. It's a good starting point for healthy eating.

If possible, visit a local affiliate and get some advice from them.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:05 PM   #4
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

BrandX is where I started out, Zach. Hardly anything shameful about Buttercups when it comes to CrossFit. Make sure you're not going too easy on yourself, but remember it's something that you, and everyone else who's started, has had to work into. Good luck, and welcome.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:

Zach -

Welcome indeed!

My thoughts, and please keep in mind, I'm a rookie and I'm not a doctor. So he goes -

1. might be a good idea to see a doctor first. Get an ekg, BP test, stuff like that. (guys help me out here)
2. just start out slow. I did. And after 4 months, I'm still slow. But I'm doing it.
3. focus on form and technique - results will come.
4. I was only 20lbs overweight and I couldn't do a pull-up. So again, don't get too hung-up on what you can or cannot do today. It will come.
5. take a pic of your body today - follow the workouts and the diet as best you can, you'll see the results.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
Brad Gilliatt

Profile:

okay - I was 30 lbs overweight!
Old 12-04-2007, 04:35 AM   #7
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Welcome!

First thing to understand is that you have to overhaul your diet if you want to lose weight. You can't out-exercise your intake. You want to make changes slowly enough so that you can live with them for the long haul, extreme diets don't work.

1. Eliminate as much sugar, white flour and processed foods as you possibly can. If it's made in a factory or comes in a complex package, don't eat it. (Plain frozen veggies and fruits are an exception.)

2. Find ways to feel good about your food in healthy ways. I used to have the habit of munching my way through a night of tv. Now, I have a snack of cottage cheese with fruit and nuts or plain Greek nonfat yogurt with same. If I still want something else, I drink warm, rich herbal tea.

3. Try using www.fitday.com (wfs) to track intake and look up the nutritional information for the foods you eat. It really helps increase mindfulness about food.

4. Start thinking of yourself as an athlete. Nourish yourself as an athlete would.

5. If you slip, shrug it off and get right back on to your new habits. Perfection isn't required, only persistence.

As far as the exercise goes, LISTEN to your body. Start where you are. Do your best. Be patient and consistent. Don't quit.

Good luck, and keep us posted as to how you're doing, ok?

Susie
Old 12-04-2007, 05:59 AM   #8
Lisa Quinn

Profile:

Welcome Zach~
Modify and have fun! Try to plug in with an affiliate or have a friend, family member join you for motivation, encouragement.
Lisa Q
Old 12-04-2007, 07:06 AM   #9
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Welcome!

CrossFit works - but yeah, take it slow to start. BrandX scaling is very helpful - look also at the suggestions popping up after you press the "start here" link (it's one of the headings in the box on the top left of the main page).

I've two mid-40s friends in a similar situation to yours, who've very successfully been putting themselves through scaled CrossFit workouts, supported by Zone eating. In about 3 months, one's lost 4 inches round his waist, and is now able to do a few dips and pullups ... for the first time in prolly 30 years.

Take some time to learn the movements well with light weight and impeccable form before you go nuts - it will slow your start, but the effort's more than worth it. For instance, when you start trying dips, please use the forum's search function to find and read all you can about keeping "active shoulders." Until you're strong enough to keep your shoulders in the right position (pushed down, chest spread and up), I'd really recommend sticking with assisted dips.

I didn't. Neither did one of my overweight friends ... and our enthusiasm to squeeze out unassisted dips any way we could created lovely shoulder pain and inflammation ... and a layoff from doing dips. Learning and keeping good form is much easier than making your tendons and ligaments try valiantly to keep your arms from ripping clean off your body.

t.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #10
Zach Mitchell

Profile:

Much thanks to everyone who has posted so far. I have to say this is quite a friendly community!

There is no *****-footing around while "forging elite fitness" and that will be the number one driving factor in my motivation.

Thanks again -- Zach Mitchell