CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 12-03-2007, 07:01 AM   #11
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Re: Arden Cogar on TV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Corrigan View Post
Great job, Arden! I was teaching a KB seminar today, but I can't wait to check out the vids when you get them on YouTube.

Take care,

Tom
Thanks Tom. The Timbersports Finals is airing nex Sunday (December 9) at noon EST. Thanks so much for your help and guidance.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #12
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
I've seen a couple of Arden's older clips, and I'd love to see more competition stuff! Before running into him in this forum (and benefiting from his kindness and generosity), I didn't even know that lumberjacking had a sport-competition side to it. But watching Arden axe the living daylights out of a piece of wood was awesome - in fact, I ended up spending a fair bit of time surfing around to find out more about lumberjacking sports.

I must say, though - as somebody who doesn't have a CLUE about lumberjacking - that whereas I thought all the stuff that involved demolishing things with axes was uber-cool, the power saw events didn't do much for me. To my untutored eyes, they just looked like guys cutting things with chainsaws. (Obviously, this isn't really the case. I just don't tend to "get" any of the sports that involve non-biological motors.) In any case, nice for me that Arden seems to be particularly good at the bio-motor events!

Anyway, if the rest of people in the lumberjacking scene are even remotely like Arden, I just wish I could get my big-boned, broad-shouldered son into it.

Mike,
Thanks so much for your kind words. Just so you know, I agree with you on the chainsaws. They don't do it for me either. The hand or manual events are the one I enjoy. I particularly enjoy training for them because of the physical demands they put upon the body. Woodchopping and crosscut sawing are great fitness.

How old is your son? And where are you guys located? The reason I ask is that most Universities that have agricultural and forestry programs have Woodsmen's Teams that compete against other colleges in everything from woodchopping to kayak racing. I didn't really get keen on the sport until I was at WVU and training with folk my own age. Some of my fondest memories of the sport come from the years I was on the WVU Woodsmen's team competing against such colleges as Syracuse, Penn State, New Hampshire, Maine, Paul Smiths, Dartmouth, U of New Brunswick, Dabney, NC State, North Carolina, etc . It's a great way to get an athlete to get a chance to start into the sport without the heavy cost of the equipment (right off the bat). I know it provided the impetus for me. Who knows? We could have another champion in our midst?

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-03-2007, 09:31 AM   #13
Dale F. Saran

Profile:

I hate to do this, but...

"Heeeee's a lumberjack and he's okay,
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

BARBER:
I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And have buttered scones for tea.

MOUNTIES:
He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch.
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea.

He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

BARBER:
I cut down trees. I skip and jump.
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars."

Alright, just so I don't incur someone's wrath - my family are all Canucks and my grandfather, a little guy, was a lumberjack in his youth before coming to the States. He could split would faster than I could stack it.

I just couldn't help myself.

Congratulations, Arden, on your peformance. Great stuff.
Big Men doing Manly Things Outdoors.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:52 AM   #14
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Nice work Arden! I think it's awesome your wife competes as well!!
Old 12-03-2007, 10:01 AM   #15
Mike Gray

Profile:

Quote:
How old is your son? And where are you guys located?
Heya!

Evan will celebrate his nineth birthday in twelve days, and we live just outside of Zürich in Switzerland. The kid's a couple inches taller than I was at his age and has shoulders about twice as broad. Totally unfair. He loves the outdoors and has a natural touch for animals - I've always thought he'd make a great vet or forester or some such, so who knows ...

But he loves (American) football and wants to play in the Swiss amature league, which - like all whacko amature sports nobody is ever dumb enough to think will make them a superstar - is cool too.

BTW, and speaking of genes and cool sports, my son got all the good genes from his mom's family. One of my wife's uncles was the Swiss "Swinger King" - a traditional Swiss sport callen Schwingen that involves two really big fellas (there's exactly one weight class) holding each other's trousers and trying to throw each other backfirst into the sawdust. The winner of the national title takes home a pedigree bull.
Old 12-03-2007, 10:04 AM   #16
Mike Gray

Profile:

Say - is there a tune to go with that lumberjack song??

I tried singing it to "Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer," but it didn't quite fit ...
Old 12-03-2007, 01:06 PM   #17
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

thanks Dale and Anthony... I love that song. I have to.

Mike,
Search Stihl Europe. I believe they have a Timbersports Website. Timbersports is getting more popular in Europe. One of the Swiss athletes, Hermann Scholenbachler, placed 3rd in the world open this past year and made the semi final round in the Timbersports during 2006. European Timbersports is on the rise and they now host several events in Germany, Switzerland, France, and Spain. I also believe that Austria will host a few events next summer.

Stihl also hosts "training camps" for interested athletes in Europe and several of the Timbersports athletes travel to Europe to coach. I was approached this past Fall about being one of the coaches for the training camps. I'll need to brush up on my french and spanish, but I bet it will be a great trip.

If I learn of something in your area, I'll let you know.

Oh, and so you know, physical size helps with lumberjack sports, but it's not an absolute necessity. Several of the top athletes in my sport weigh less than 90 kilos. One weighs, I kid you not, 70 kilos. He's a weiry tough little guy from Tasmania by the name of Matthew Gurr. Unreal what that man can do with an axe. I've told several people it's very much similar to striking a golf ball - once you learn the proper body mechanics, a smaller man can drive a ball a heckuva lot further than a larger stronger man with poorer technique. If that makes any sense?

Someone ask me once who would be the easiest type of athlete to turn into a good lumberjack competitor. My answer was a decathlete. A person who has good athletism and a good body mechanics in throwing events. The hardest athlete to train to be a lumberjack - a baseball player. To much arm and shoulders in their swings and not enough torso and leg drive. A person who has thrown hammers, discus, and shot would be the easiest in my opinion. It's all about timing. Strength helps, but timing is more important. Further, good physical toughness is a necessity - all cross fitters, in my opinion, have an over abundance of toughness; crazy good fit and I love it.

All the best,
Arden

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #18
George Mounce

Profile:

Awesome job Arden, you make me insanely jealous because you have that as a sport. I have always thought the event where you put in the stepping boards as you chop your way up to the top then chop the top off was the best. (Sorry I have no clue what the name of that even is ).
Old 12-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #19
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
Awesome job Arden, you make me insanely jealous because you have that as a sport. I have always thought the event where you put in the stepping boards as you chop your way up to the top then chop the top off was the best. (Sorry I have no clue what the name of that even is ).
George,
It's called the springboard. And thanks so much for your kind comments.

The great thing about lumberjack sports is that it's for all ages and all those of interest. My 73 year old father still competes very well. We have different divisions of competition and some events are handicapped (with the better competitors giving less experienced competitors up to 30 to 40 second head starts). Some of the best in the sport didn't start until they were in the late 30s early 40s.

The only prohibition is the cost of equipment and obviously the cost of travel to events. Axes cost $400 and crosscut saws cost over $1200. You can get training gear much cheaper than that, but, to compete, you need top notch equipment and have some ability to work on it and repair it if the need arises. I'm rather lucky in that I grew up with the sport and my father already had most of the equipment and stands to train on. I've since replaced almost all the axes and saws, etc. But I have issues with lumberjack equipment similar to the issues I have with the equipment for my home gym. In less words, you can never have enough....right?

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-03-2007, 04:42 PM   #20
Andy Shirley

Profile:

Monty Python: Lumberjack Song

Original: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg
Entire Sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9Ly2XCE3jQ
Live Version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clPYfaTvHT0

All links safe.