CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 11-25-2007, 11:26 AM   #1
Aaron Trent

Profile:
Arden Cogar on TV?

ESPN is showing the Stihl Timbersports right now and I am curious if our hometown lumberjack hero is going to get any airtime.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
Michael Houghton

Profile:
Re: Arden Cogar on TV?

They showed him about an hour ago in California. He took 2nd in his heat I believe.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Thanks Everyone.

During the first round, I was 2nd in the springboard, 7th in the stock saw, 2nd in the standing block, 1st in the underhand, 2nd in the single buck and 3rd in the hot saw.

One of my better all around performances against a very strong field. Winning the underhand was quiet a feat in beating the best axeman in the world, David Bolstad. Those moments don't happen very often. Seize them when they do and enjoy them. I know I did.

The 2nd round of the series is next Sunday - December 2 starting at noon. I think I'm on the 1:00 p.m. show. The grand finals are airing on Decmeber 9 at noon.

Thanks for the interest. I gave it all I had and I hope to do even better next year.

Thanks to everyone for their help and guidance.

All the best,
Arden
Old 11-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Awesome Arden, have fun big guy.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:05 PM   #5
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

Congrats! Any videos online of it?
Old 11-27-2007, 02:13 PM   #6
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
Congrats! Any videos online of it?
Thanks so much!!!! I have lots of my training stuff on my youtube account (WVAxeman). As well as some of the contests from this past summer. Nothing from what was aired on this season's Timbersports Series. Yet......I don't know if I have the ability to do it at this stage. I'm learning.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-02-2007, 03:12 PM   #7
Tom Rawls

Profile:

Arden,

Caught some of the Timbersports today. My wife wandered by and I mentioned that one of the competitors posted on a forum I visited.

"Who?" she asked.

"Arden Cogar," I said.

"Arden, that would be a great name for a dog," she said. Don't misunderstand. Having a name worthy of a canine is big medicine.

The hot-saw competition had started up. "I can't believe I'm watching this," she commented, as though her life had taken a major wrong turn. "Do you think they practise that in their back yards?" she asked, as the big saws revved. "Their wives must hate them."

Hey, I was impressed. Cheers.

Tom
Old 12-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Rawls View Post
Arden,

Caught some of the Timbersports today. My wife wandered by and I mentioned that one of the competitors posted on a forum I visited.

"Who?" she asked.

"Arden Cogar," I said.

"Arden, that would be a great name for a dog," she said. Don't misunderstand. Having a name worthy of a canine is big medicine.

The hot-saw competition had started up. "I can't believe I'm watching this," she commented, as though her life had taken a major wrong turn. "Do you think they practise that in their back yards?" she asked, as the big saws revved. "Their wives must hate them."

Hey, I was impressed. Cheers.

Tom
Tom,
Cool stuff. My wife agrees, my name would be good for a dog.

My wife says "once you've lived with the hotsaw sitting by the washer for six months, you're happy to see it running in the back yard."

But in all seriousness, she competes along side me. She won two world titles this past summer in only her third year of competition. She won the stock saw event at the Lumberjill World Championships. And she and I won the Jack & Jill Crosscut World Championsip at the Mountain State Forest Festival held in Elkins, West Virginia. I'm truly blessed.

Not only do we work out together, but we compete together. She however draws the line on working together. A little time apart does us wonders.

Thanks for the kind words.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-02-2007, 11:14 PM   #9
Tom Corrigan

Profile:

Great job, Arden! I was teaching a KB seminar today, but I can't wait to check out the vids when you get them on YouTube.

Take care,

Tom
Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #10
Mike Gray

Profile:

I've seen a couple of Arden's older clips, and I'd love to see more competition stuff! Before running into him in this forum (and benefiting from his kindness and generosity), I didn't even know that lumberjacking had a sport-competition side to it. But watching Arden axe the living daylights out of a piece of wood was awesome - in fact, I ended up spending a fair bit of time surfing around to find out more about lumberjacking sports.

I must say, though - as somebody who doesn't have a CLUE about lumberjacking - that whereas I thought all the stuff that involved demolishing things with axes was uber-cool, the power saw events didn't do much for me. To my untutored eyes, they just looked like guys cutting things with chainsaws. (Obviously, this isn't really the case. I just don't tend to "get" any of the sports that involve non-biological motors.) In any case, nice for me that Arden seems to be particularly good at the bio-motor events!

Anyway, if the rest of people in the lumberjacking scene are even remotely like Arden, I just wish I could get my big-boned, broad-shouldered son into it.