CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 12-18-2007, 04:43 PM   #11
Wade Smith

Profile:
Re: Elbow Pain From Pull-Ups

The self-massage also works well for me. Foam rolling, tennis ball leans against wall, digging my elbows into my quads, or digging my knees up into my triceps and elbow area. It really loosens me up well. Regarding the elbow tendinitis, if my elbows start to say, "Dude, 120 pullups and 120 ring dips were too much", I retaliate with digging my kneecaps into my tricep and elbow areas until the voice subsides.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:43 AM   #12
Drew Hahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don King View Post
Drew,

What's "foam rolling"?
A foam roller is a hard cylinder--if you Google "foam roller" you'll find a bunch of products. It's used to work out kinks in your muscles and improve your flexibility. It's a lot like a deep tissue massage but a lot cheaper. IMO, foam rollers are the best thing ever.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #13
Don King

Profile:

Ok, my Google search skills are failing me. I understand the concept of foam rollers and see a bunch of exercises for leg muscles, back, neck, etc, but nothing specific to elbow pain(medial epicondylitis). Are you just rolling your forearm muscles and possibly triceps and biceps?

Having drank the CF Kool-Aid, it really ****es me off every time a pull-up WOD is posted(which is often), so I need to do something to get rid of my elbow pain. It's been over a year since I brought this pain on doing high rep pull-ups. I've most certainly prolonged this by continuing to work out, but in the process have learned to stay away or put a limit on exercises that cause flare-ups...mainly pull-ups but also deadlifts, C&J, and snatches to a lesser degree.

I'm to the point where Prolotherapy may be an option, it's just expensive since insurance doesn't cover it. I do plan on taking 2-3 weeks off in January so hopefully his will help.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:03 PM   #14
Steven Low

Profile:

Here's what I do to stave off tendonitis. Well I've been doing a lot of one arm work with one arm dips, one arm pullups and the like so I've had some close encounters with tendonitis. You might find this helpful:

I usually start at the place (medial epicondyle) just warming it up by rubbing it some then go do all of the flexors of the forearm pushing blood up towards it so that it heals faster (so start at the hand and move towards the elbow). 4 of the 6 forearm flexors attach at the medial epicondyle which is why it's so easy to get tendonitis there. Then do some deep work on the medial epicondyle and then I usually also massage biceps and triceps working into the shoulders and chest area with my knuckles because they can dig well. Then if you need more work on the medial epicondyle then I go back and do that until it's good.

One of the other things I think works pretty well is somewhat of a cross-friction massage that you can do with your thumb and index finger. Just grab your forearm and squeeze with the thumb and index and then rotate it around the forearm in the places it hurts. Generally the thumb going cross-friction over the place feels the best if that's any help.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:09 PM   #15
Drew Hahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don King View Post
Are you just rolling your forearm muscles and possibly triceps and biceps?
That's pretty much all I did. I focused on rolling the area around my brachialis (had to look that word up), triceps, and sides of my elbows.

From what I've read, when you're foam rolling, your goal is to work up to being able to use as much bodyweight as possible on a given area. For my elbow, I started by lying on my stomach, holding my arm out perpendicular to my body, putting the roller between my brachialis and the floor, and rolling east to west. When that got less painful, I graduated to lying on my stomach, pressing my elbow against my body, putting the roller between my brachialis and the floor, and rolling north to south.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:42 PM   #16
Rob Lorenzini

Profile:

Drew,

I am a larger fellow (currently 220 thanks to the Zone + CF down from 260 (yikes)) who is having a similiar problem with my elbows due to pull ups.

I have a question for you regarding the nature of the pain. For me the pain starts after a few sets and gets really severe as the workout goes on. For like 1 hour after the WOD like today, it is pretty bad. Is your pain around the entire elbow or in 1 spot?

I did "Badger" today and my elbows are absolutely killing me.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:05 AM   #17
Drew Hahn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Lorenzini View Post

Is your pain around the entire elbow or in 1 spot?
My pain was concentrated around the brachialis in both arms. It started as a dull ache, but it got pretty severe. I'm used to having sore muscles, and I'm positive that it wasn't muscle-related.

I think the injury occurred because there's no way to ease into doing pull-ups when you're heavy. When I first started (I'm embarrassed to admit), every set was like doing a 3-rep max.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:09 PM   #18
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Just to chime in, I'd like to report that elbow pain can come in all sizes. Recently during one workout, one of my 6 turning 7 year olds was complaining of muscle soreness in the forearm and elbow pain. That day, besides our warmup rope climbs, and some attempts at straddle down rope climbs; we had been going through a lot of ring strength and our ring strength set ( Pull-up, pull to candlestick into upside down pike and back lever 2x ).

It can happen even when you're ridiculously small. 3 and a half feet and 40 pounds and change. Granted he was fine the next day, but the whole point is pullup can affect even the young or beginners. A bit of this is mainly because he is young and not so tough to go through discomfort. However, it was definitely time for him to stop those movements.