CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #1
Jesse Emers

Profile:
Waking up and craving sweets

For the past couple months I have been waking up in the middle of the night and craving something sweet to eat. When this first started happening I had a piece of chocolate or something then I would fall back asleep really easily. If I didn't have anything in the house to quench my craving, I sometimes would have a little difficulty going back to sleep. Its like a normal thing for me: wake up at 2-4am, have some chocolate milk (changed to protein shake recently), then fall dead back to sleep. I'm definitely awake when this happens but sometimes very groggy.
I'm thinking that this is happening for 2 reasons. One- I have been pretty strict paleo and cutting calories to lose body fat (its been working) throughout the whole time this is happening. I'm thinking its my body just reacting to the reduction in calories and craving some fast energy... Reason
2- Since it has happened so much, its probably turning into a habitual thing also.
Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I really dont even know if its a bad thing or if I want to stop.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Steve Baum

Profile:
Re: Waking up and craving sweets

Jesse

Sounds like your blood sugar is dropping during the night and your brain needs fuel, thus the need to eat. What time do you eat your last meal and what time do you go to bed? What does the last meal of the day consist of?

Steve Baum
Old 11-02-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Jesse Emers

Profile:

I actually eat my last meal closer to bedtime than I would want to (because of work and other things). I usually eat my last meal 1.5-3 hours before bed.. Usually 2 hours. 90% of the time the meal consists of a piece of meat and steamed veggies.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:12 AM   #4
Alex Europa

Profile:

Jesse, first off you really should give the Zone a try. Realistically, what do you have to lose? If you're already eating Paleo, then you won't be cutting out anything that you're already eat, just eating the proper proportions - which is everything. Yes, it takes some work and effort on your part, but so do the WODs. (You should've already been expecting this response, but I had to throw it out there.)
Secondy, have you tried upping your fat intake? If you're mainly eating "a piece of meat and steamed veggies," for dinner (and I have to assume that is what each meal looks like), then your fat intake is woefully insufficient. So much so that you are most certainly deficient in essential fatty acids. Which is not only slowing your goals of weight/fat loss, but is also HURTING YOUR PERFORMANCE. There are numerous studies showing the amazing effects Fish Oil has on improving performance...as well as those good ol' monounsaturated fats effects on your overall health.

Give the Zone 2 weeks of your life...it'll change your life.

Alex
Old 11-04-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
Steve Baum

Profile:

Jesse

I agree with Alex. You need more good fat and balanced meals throughout the day. I would try a zone shake before bed and add some essential fats. I'll bet within a week you are sleeping soundly throughout the night.

Steve
Old 11-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
Jesse Emers

Profile:

I do my best to get alot of fats in during the day and now you guys are making me second guess myself that I'm getting enough. I don't really have any other "meals" than dinner, I'm just constantly eating stuff throughout the day. For instance, a normal day is as follows:

Wake up, have protein shake and some fruit.
Go to classes then workout.
Have protein shake, a bunch of leafy greens and 1-2TBS of hemp seed oil.
Most of the time I'll have 4-8oz of greek style yogurt (yum), or some almond butter/natural peanut butter or both.
About .5-1.5 hours later I'll have a protein shake with 3TBS of ground up flax seeds (in milk this time).
Go to classes again and work (from like 1400-2100). When I'm out of the house during those hours I usually down like 2 pieces of fruit and a bunch of nuts.
When I get home, thats when I eat the steamed veggies/meat meal. And I usually hit the sack 1-3 hours after.
THEN I usually wake up at like 3am and have a protein shake in milk.

As you can see, I'm not strict Paleo. I've been eating a bit more simple dairy products lately just cause its easy good fat. It seems to me that I am getting in enough fats, but please let me know if I'm not. Also point out anything else of interest please. I know it doesnt seem like alot of food (I'm 6'1" 195lb, down from 205lb a couple months ago), but I am trying to lose about 2-3% more body fat. You guys are right, I should try out the zone. The only thing that is stopping me is my severe laziness (I know... crossfit and lazy dont seem to go together).

Last edited by Jesse Emers : 11-04-2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Try replacing the 'shakes' with real food. You won't regret it, promise.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:48 PM   #8
Jesse Emers

Profile:

I like the shakes for a couple reasons... They are fast and I usually dont have much time to cook and eat. Also they are low in calories. I feel like if I replaced all my shakes with real food (keeping protein intake the same), I would be really full all the time and I would be taking in more calories. Thats around 75-120g protein a day just from the shakes. Do you have any reccomendations for real food substitutes? I dont want to be walking around all day long chompin down on chicken legs lol.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:06 PM   #9
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Good, you just answered your own question. The real food will help alleviate the cravings you've been getting in the middle of the night. First problem solved.

You're afraid you'll feel full all day long and eat too many calories with real food. OK, count the calories you're taking in (with the shakes) and simply eat the same amount of calories with real food. Still feeling full? Drop your blocks or total cals. Second problem solved.

So now what is stopping you from trying the Zone/Paleo or replacing shakes with real food?
Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
Jesse Emers

Profile:

Nothing is stopping me... I'm very lazy lol. I'm going to have to try it soon. Thanks for the help Steve. I just noticed that your from NJ. I'm from Merchantville, right next to Camden, but I'm in FL now for school.