CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-14-2004, 03:32 PM   #1
AARON FISHER

Profile:  
Gents, Over here in the UK we recently had a gameshow where 12 athletes competed to see who was 'Hercules' by attempting 12 modern day equivalents of Hercules's Labours.
I would like to attempt 12 physical challenges over twelve days in an effort to raise money for charity. Already I have thought of adopting the following as potential 'labours'to be done on concurrent days, though remain open to ideas/ suggestions:
1. 500 pull ups
2. Run 26 miles
3. 1000 8 count body builders
4. Row 20 miles
5. Clean and Press 50kg 500 times

I find myself requiring another 7 potential challenges. I know this may appear stupid, or odd, however i am, without being arogant - confident in my physical and mental prowess; and happy to beast myself for 12 days, especially if this will raise money for charity. I will finish. I plan on training in conjunction with the crossfit workout/concept and expect to attempt the 'Labours' in around October 2004. Has anyone any suggestions for additional labours? At my unit we have a swimming pool and full gym facilities so i am fairly flexible in what i can and will do! Plus i will have the support of the Marines at the base. Please let us know your ideas! I need to get cracking with some planning/ PR asap. Also to be cheaky, if any coaches fancy supporting me with some e-coaching I would be delighted, and could return the favour with some corporate advertisment on a T-shirt when i do the events.

Much appreciated guys. Hope to hear some feedback.

yours, a Royal Marine in need!
Old 03-14-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
Ben Gimball

Profile:

Aaron,

Let me be the first (here at least) to congratulate you on taking up this challenge for charity. May I ask which charity it is?

Some suggestions: Something related to Push-ups, perhaps 1200 on the 12th day. Bicycling a certain distance in one day. The route could be meaningful, (to a charity and back X amount of times etc). How are you in the water? One day could be devoted to swimming.

Just a few ideas for you.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:35 PM   #3
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Cool challenge Aaron, what is number 3?

My suggestion spend: 1 hour under water in 90 minutes, or similar.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:26 PM   #4
will schrenk

Profile:

This sounds like an excellent challenge and cause - all the best with it!! Is there a traditional Royal Marine Challenge or Standard that has to be met in order to graduate as a Royal Marine - like a march or specific time on the tarzan course? How about a run up a tall building like the annual race up the steps of the Empire State Building here in New York City?

All the best and please keep us up to date with the adventure!

Will
Old 03-14-2004, 06:34 PM   #5
Jason Lauer

Profile:
You may think to add some true feats of strength. I would say look to the strongman competitions, just tone it down a little. Many of the suggested events seem to be geared towards the endurance/ultra endurance end.
Old 03-14-2004, 06:48 PM   #6
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Hoist a tree out of the ground and throw it off a cliff.
Old 03-14-2004, 08:45 PM   #7
Sean Harrison

Profile:
You could clean out a stable. he did that didn't he? If I remember that awful Lou Ferrigno movie correctly.
Old 03-14-2004, 09:13 PM   #8
Tyler Hass

Profile:
How about taking a medicine ball and tossing it over a barrier of some height a certain number of times.
Three variables: the weight of the ball, the height of the barrier and the number of reps. In any case, it would be a cool feat of strength and probably pretty fun.

Walk on your hands for a mile.

Push a wheelbarrow loaded with weight for x distance.

Do forward rolls for x distance. The record for this is 12.3 miles. Here is a website about it: http://www.ashrita.com/html/records/descriptions.htm

Maybe when you're all done, you can sleep with 50 women in one night, as Hercules did:-) For charity of course!

Tyler
Old 03-14-2004, 09:51 PM   #9
AARON FISHER

Profile:  
Thanks for the responses guys

Ben - Thanks for the encouragement. I am planning on raising money for the RNLI which is the Lifeboat service here in the UK, (a civilian charity manned by volunteers who conduct maritime rescues around manland Britain - in some ways slightly similar to the US coastguard)

I am not keen to incorporate another calisthenic exercise to the challenge - but if I do the pres ups will probably be there.

Jason - I hear you about the strength side, I am simply trying to play to my personal strengths, and my body seems to be orientated towards the muscular endurance side. However you are correct and I will look at this.

Tyler - I will incorporate the medicine ball throw idea that sounds fair as does the weighted wheelbarrow. Might change this to a weighted sled drag though, not sure about the 50 women - well I am, but Mrs F may not be.

Will - Great idea over the RM aspect I am going to think that one over, and the logistics. As for the tall building - we dont really have that many of those in Scotland, however you have inspired me to consider climbing the highest mountai in Britain - Ben Nevis (only about 3500ft) with a weighted sand bag!

so so far I have:

1. 500 pull ups
2. Run 26 miles
3. 1000 8 count body builders
4. Row 20 miles
5. Clean and Press 50kg 500 times
6. Medicine Ball throws: weight of ball tbc and height of barrier tbc.
7. sled drag: distance and weight tbc
8. Climb Ben Nevis with a weighted Sand bag - possibly loaded to bodyweight?
9. Press ups - though rather not do another calisthenic exercise.

Please keep the ideas coming, either new events, advice, or ammendments to currently suggested ideas
Old 03-15-2004, 04:55 AM   #10
Parth Shah

Profile:
how about muscle ups... but than again you did the pullups. What about benching?