CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #1
Shane Bradbury

Profile:
"Athletic Training"

I was wondering about the conventional 'advanced athletic training' you see in pro sports, sports camps, velocity training centres and so forth. The drills where players are standing on swiss balls throwing medicine balls back and forth, shuffling sideways through ladders, one legged medicine ball twists etc. So does this stuff work? I know most NHL teams train this way. I'm a hockey goaltender and was wondering if I should incorporate some of this in my CF routine, or is it useless?. Any feedback would be great, thanks guys.

-shane
Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 AM   #2
Zac Stutts

Profile:
Re: "Athletic Training"

it works but athletic conditioning is built on specificity within their sport and almost nothing else.. of course there is carryover but the main purpose is to get good at what they do.

and yes it works
Old 10-23-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Garrett Smith

Profile:

The agility ladder is worth some time in your warm-up. Tyler Hass makes a nice one (he also makes the Elite Rings).

As for balancing on swiss balls, it doesn't have any carryover that I know of, nor should it. If you'd like to learn circus tricks like that, save it for your "rest" days. Otherwise forget about those.

Slide boards and Indo Boards are pieces that I like to improve lateral movement strength-endurance, balance, and coordination.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
David Aguasca

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
If you'd like to learn circus tricks like that, save it for your "rest" days. Otherwise forget about those.
...unless you're training to be in the circus
Old 10-23-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Shane Bradbury

Profile:

So besides a general warm up, are ladder drills good for an actual workout? My opinion would be no, but you see otherwise all the time. I forgot about Slide boards and Indo Boards, these are great, like you said for improving coordination and balance.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:

David,
You're absolutely right. My bad. I must still be a little bitter that Cirque du Soleil didn't hire me as a strength coach when I applied. Oh well, their loss.

As for "working out" on the agility ladder, I'd say not. Do the specific agility drills when you are relatively fresh, to best train the nervous system. Putting them in the warm-up allows one to be fresh and train their agility in a relatively "cold" state--which is likely when your agility will be called upon in real life. IMHO.

One can absolutely do a workout on a slide board. Punishing on the legs.

As for the Indo Board, I like it as active rest. I do Coach Davies' 10-minute workout on it (evenly split among balance/rocking/squat position/surf stance rocking). It might also be good as active rest in a WOD with set rest periods (obviously not "As Rx'd").
Old 10-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #7
Craig Takahiro Descoteaux

Profile:

If you can find a sport specific facility for yur sport then the anseer is yes.
Coming from a franchise sport facility as a coach and director I can see the improvements of various equipment.

For cost effectiveness: ladders, reaction balls, mini hurdles, harness, cones.
If you had the means: slideboards, oly. weights, indoor facility for sport specific.

Stability ball exercises can work a lot of balance and core strength.

And i just came back from Vegas, those actors at Le Reve have extreme core strength. Nothing to joke about those guys and girls.