CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM   #1
Austin Rogers

Profile:
Paleo+Zone recipes

I need Paleo+Zone recipes!

Is it true it's impossible to get enough carbs?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #2
Jay Cohen

Profile:
Re: Paleo+Zone recipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Rogers View Post

Austin, Paleo and Zone are different animals, use the search function on the CF boards, use the search function on the PM boards, use Google for everything else and quit babbling about Carbs.

Last edited by Jay Cohen : 10-22-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-22-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
Austin Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Austin, Paleo and Zone are different animals, use the search function on the CF boards, use the search function on the PM boards, use Google for everything else and quite babbling about Carbs.
Lose the attitude pal

I know what Paleo diet and Zone diet are

Many people combine them and I want information that I have not found searching this site and Google
Old 10-22-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Scott Clark

Profile:

Quote:

I'm not familiar with the Zone as far as blocks go, but it would likely be easier to simply eat P/C/F of paleo sources at each meal. Are you talking strict Paleo or Paleo-ish?

As for the carb issue, it largely depends on the person. I have switched back to a high carb diet from Paleo-ish style for the past year. It's just not for me. Some thrive on Paleo/Zone, I crash and burn. So now my diet is roughly 50/30/20 (C/P/F) or (40/40/20) and I feel 100% better.

I would think you could find such recipes on Google as well.... try the Search feature or Performance Menu forums, they should have something you're looking for.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Kim Dowse

Profile:

Austin - I do zone blocks (2x fat) with paleo foods (gluten and lactose intolerant...so have little choice) and throw in IF 4x per week. My meals are super simple.

For example, breakfast pancake 2 blocks=
4 eggwhites...whisked, add cinn and a few drops stevia cook over low heat. (2 blocks protein)
1 cup warmed blueberries on top (2 blocks carbs)
12 almonds crushed (2x fat)

My dinner tonight was:
3 oz salmon (2 blocks protein)
Salad - 2 cups spinach (.5 C), 1 cup cauliflower (.5 C), 1 cup broc (.5 C), 1/2 cup strawberries (.5 C) (total 2 blocks carbs)
1 tbsp olive oil, dash vinegar (spices depending on what I have)=2x fat blocks.

If I am in on the road for work and in a pinch...tuna in a bag, apple and almonds.

For me I took the CFJ 21 and crossed off everyting that had gluten and lactose in it and then anything that was not paleo...that's my food list. Also, this site (wfs) has some great recipes...you just need to measure it out to get your specific blocks.

http://paleofood.com/
Old 10-23-2007, 04:18 AM   #6
Steve Liberati

Profile:

Kim covered it all.

Kim:
Many elite athletes use 3 blocks of fat for every block of carb block they subtract. Ever try this version? More about redistrubuting macros rather than increase the cals. Just a suggestion. Good post.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
Kim Dowse

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Liberati View Post
Kim covered it all.

Kim:
Many elite athletes use 3 blocks of fat for every block of carb block they subtract. Ever try this version? More about redistrubuting macros rather than increase the cals. Just a suggestion. Good post.
Steve - although I am nowhere near elite, oddly enough you are the 3rd person in the past three days to suggest that to me. I may give it a try...thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Many people combine them and I want information that I have not found searching this site and Google
If it isn't on this site and isn't on Google, I'm not sure where you want us to turn you. The Zone books have recipes, maybe try Amazon.com.

I made a thread that is somewhat Paleo-friendly and it has recipes that have the blocks spelled out.

Simple math will determine the blocks in just about any recipe. A great tool for nutrition facts can be found here (wfs). The creativeness needs to be more on your end.

Every, yes EVERY meal on the Zone is a recipe. Instead of just throwing stuff together, write down what you use, how much you use of it, and your recipe is created.

Meals for multiple people are just the ingredients for one person multiplied by the number of people you wish to serve if the same Zone proportions. I make dinner for me and my wife every night, and have been making Zone dinners for about 8 months now. Not once have I received a complaint, and all I did was take about 2/3 of what I'd make for myself and add it to what I was making. Split proportions correctly and it works great.

Jay does have a point about carbs. "Impossible to get enough carbs". I'd say that most of America has found that is quite possible on a daily basis to eat 60-70% carbs that kill them. Yes, I said KILL. So no, it is not impossible to get enough carbs, it is quite easy. It is very possible to kill yourself by eating sugary snacks all your life, become a type II diabetic and end up dead from a heart attack or stroke thanks to the 400 lb gorilla you've been ignoring your whole life.

Since you know about Paleo type choices, stick with those and you will get your carbs, eat them in Zone portion sizes and you won't have any problems.
Old 09-27-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
Angela Childress

Profile:

Bumping this up! Kim... thanks for the Paleo recipes link.