CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-09-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
Jeff Bethard

Profile:
Medicine Ball

I had a 6# and a 9# Ooof ball. One day when my garage door was open the 9# ball walked away, or perhaps someone walked away with it. Apparently the Ooof Ball Company is no longer in business. What medicine ball brand do people recommend?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Re: Medicine Ball

Most people go with Dynamax. They are well padded and allow you to perform high velocity activities safely. Typically these are the balls you see in the videos.

They are well constructed and will last for years if not abused.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #3
Corey Duvall

Profile:

I've made my own. I filled old basketballs with sand, both are around 25 lbs. I've recently bought some smaller basketballs and I think they're gonna be around 8 and 15 lbs when done. Cover them in duct tape and a layer of athletic tape and they're perfect with an overall cost of $4.50 a piece.
Old 10-09-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
Jeff Bethard

Profile:

I have to be honest with myself. I'm probably just too lazy to try to make a med ball out of a basketball and sand. Do the Dynamax balls have much/any bounce?
Old 10-09-2007, 09:07 PM   #5
Jeff Bethard

Profile:

Also meant to ask, how will a Dynamax ball hold up to getting thrown into or dropped onto grass, dirt, concrete, blacktop, etc.?
Old 10-10-2007, 12:53 PM   #6
Corey Duvall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Bethard View Post
I have to be honest with myself. I'm probably just too lazy to try to make a med ball out of a basketball and sand. Do the Dynamax balls have much/any bounce?
And you're a crossfitter? To each his own, but the total construction was under 30 minutes per ball.

But for that matter, the dynamax balls are not meant for bounce, and neither is the bbball w/ sand.

Last edited by Corey Duvall : 10-10-2007 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #7
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Also meant to ask, how will a Dynamax ball hold up to getting thrown into or dropped onto grass, dirt, concrete, blacktop, etc.?
(All links work and family safe)

Dynamax balls hold up to being "thrown" and even rebounded off a wall . . . but they won't handle being slammed down directly. Nor are they particularly good for outdoor work (skin isn't tough enough).

A lot of folks have used D-Balls (http://www.d-ball.com/) for balls that will be slammed down and/or otherwise abused. But even those have been known to fail, particularly around the plug.

I like stuff like this: (http://store.everlastboxing.com/ever...cine-ball.html or http://www.shapeupshop.com/bands_bal...lls/rubber.htm

Further discussion in this thread: http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=13091&page=1

Leather (sewn) balls are great for everything except slamball . . .they won't stand up.

The rubber ones are great (I've never yet been able to damage one), BUT . . . the fact that they bounce is both good and bad. It's great when you're throwing against a wall and want that rebound to reduce your throw cycle time, but it's actually inconvenient for downward slamming if you're trying to get the extra work involved in reaching down and lifting the weight (the ball) skyward.

To get that effect with a rubber (bouncing) ball, you have to slam it down on a very soft mat (gymnastics crash pad is ideal) to kill the bounce.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Jeff Bethard

Profile:

Thanks for the links. It looks like the Everlast medicine ball is what I'm after. I want something that I can slam down into concrete or grass without the ball getting torn up.

Any idea how the Everlast ball compares to the no longer manufactured Ooof ball?
Old 10-11-2007, 03:28 AM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Quote:
Any idea how the Everlast ball compares to the no longer manufactured Ooof ball?
Sorry, no clue.
Old 10-11-2007, 07:38 AM   #10
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

If you're looking to get a set of medicine balls without spending a lot of $$, I can recommend these: http://exertools.stores.yahoo.net/excoset.html (link is w/f safe)

They won't hold up for slamball (we use the homemade b-ball/sand versions) and they only go up to 15lbs -- but for women, seniors, or beginners doing wallball, the 11 lb and 15 lb versions get a good rebound off the wall and keep the garage from shaking. We also use them for weighted pull-ups and a variety of Paul Chek stuff, including oblique tosses, hooked sit-up passes, wood chops, etc.

They do make a disconcerting "ping" sound sometimes when they hit the ground with too much force (a metal valve inside, I suppose) but since our goal is not let the ball hit the ground, it's not a real concern here.

The 4 lb can be used for Hooverball and the 7 lb for doing rolling medicine ball push-ups. Can't say I've found a use yet for the 2lb but my dog does have her eye on it . . .