CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
Leon Robotham

Profile:
A Half marathon with minimal distance training.

Hey guys

I participated in Englands Great North Run today and thought that i'd post my findings on completing a half marathon with very little distance training. Over the past four months i've totalled only nine runs, three of those were around nine miles, two were around the 6 mile mark and the rest came in at 3 mile efforts.

The majority of my training has been CF WODs and Kettlebell training and I weighed in at 90kg two hours before the race finishing in 1hr 46. Not an awesome time by any means but considering the training I feel it was an achievement.

Most of the workouts I have completed were metcon taken from the main page, It would have been wise of me to throw in a few ME days. Things became diffcult for me at the 10 mile marker earlier. From miles 7-10 it was all uphill and I reached the marker with a time of 1hr.17. Below is the map with grandients.

http://www.greatrun.org/events/gnr2005_map.htm (w/f/s)

From miles 10 to the finish people were dropping out, coming to dead stops without checking behind and even collapsing! After all the side stepping and frustration it seemed i just couldn't hold my pace for the last 3 mile.

I've found that CF WODS will provide enough fitness to pull you through a half marathon comfortably even at 90kg and if I had of been smarter with my training I would have smoked my time. I would say metcon efforts, kettlebell swings, sub maximal deadlifts and a clean diet would be the way to go with the occasional distance effort to help the joints.

I would like to say that i'm glad I experienced a large race (50,000 particpants) but I would not choose to do one again. I'm not a distance runner but I do like a challenge.

Crossfit

Leon.
Old 09-30-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Chris Kemp

Profile:
Re: A Half marathon with minimal distance training.

Strong work fella!

Cheers, kempie
Old 10-01-2007, 12:54 PM   #3
Chris Bate

Profile:

Wow, nice work.
How did you work the runs into your schedule? Do one on the weekend in place of a WOD every couple of weeks?
Old 10-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
Aileen Reid

Profile:

That is a good effort - well done! I have run a half and certainly that distance many times in training. I wouldn't have liked to do it on that few runs!
Old 10-01-2007, 07:41 PM   #5
Aaron Trent

Profile:

It is possible to run a half on just one long run a week, I routinely ran a 15k trail loop every Saturday last year. The rest of my week was lifting and sprinting. My guess is that you could get away with 18-20 miles like this, but beyond 20 miles is starting to strech the one long a week approach.