CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-15-2007, 08:21 PM   #1
Fred Fialco

Profile:  
Proper Push Press

For multiple reps is fluid dipping and driving considered proper technique on the push press or should there be a reset phase in the movement after bringing the bar down into the rack position, when the legs are straight, before initiating the dip drive on subsequent reps? What's the "official" position on this?

Last edited by Fred Fialco : 09-15-2007 at 08:24 PM. Reason: A different post was put in the body of mine
Old 09-16-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Re: Proper Push Press

Hi Fred:

I was hoping someone more knowledgeable than me would speak up, but I guess I'm all you're going to get.

I'm not sure there's an "official" position. I know I do it as fluidly as possible, without any re-set of the rack position (elbows high and forward) unless needed.

If and when I do re-set, it's in the standing position (legs straight).

Maybe this response will attract someone smarter than me to set me straight.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 PM   #3
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I believe it's usually considered best to do it smoothly, so you can harness some of the elastic recoil at the turnaround.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #4
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

I'm pretty darn sure you can dip to catch it, but pop right back up to the starting location, THEN dip & drive. Otherwise it's a mini thruster. And I guarantee you, unless you're really really good with your handling of the weight and your timing, you're not going to be able to get as much weight up by doing a "catch/dip, drive" as opposed to doing a "catch/dip, stand up, dip/drive"
Old 09-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Fred Fialco

Profile:  

I ask because at the Quantico cert there were multiple "trainers" who came around and were not allowing the reps where there was a knee bend on the catch that transferred directly into the next drive up. They were requiring a reset before dipping and driving, which was somewhat confusing to me - especially on a higher rep exercise like FGB.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:02 AM   #6
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:

A proper push press begins standing at attention, then dipping and driving and locking the bar overhead. The bar is then lowered back to the rack position usually with a slight knee bend to absorb the impact. The lifter should reset and come back to attention before beginning the next rep.

I understand that in a FGB/High Rep situation it is easier and more comfortable to link the push presses together for faster cycle times. However, this error often results muted hip function as the pelvis starts to chase the thighs.

The trainers at Quantico were not wrong in telling you to do each rep properly, nor were they trying to unfairly punish you. Sacrificing good form for faster times is a dangerous proposition. Insisting on good form is what a trainer is supposed to do.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:22 AM   #7
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

A proper push press, regardless of when the dip starts, will never be a "mini thruster" because a push press pulls the hips straight down and a thruster/squat pulls the hips back and down.

As for resetting between reps, what are the things we look for? Fast dip/drive, no forward/backward lean on the dip, full lockout, bar overhead, etc. If those are all met, who cares if the initial dip is taken while absorbing the last rep?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #8
Corey Duvall

Profile:

I agree with Anthony. If all of the criteria were met I'm sure there's no problem. However, at the cert I attended (Jacksonville) I saw a lot of muted hip, not going overhead and the like. By making everyone reset it is easier to ensure proper form on each and every rep... as your skill improves (i.e. not dipping forward, not muting the hips, driving the bar overhead) your ability to increase rep frequency will also improve.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

My opinion:
In a metcon workout like FGB where loads are light and speed is at a premium, allowing a continuous PP movement favors the lifter who posesses superior technique. Those who have muted hip function, those who drive the bar forward, those who do not know how to receive the bar properly will be punished with lower scores. Insisting on a dead stop between reps favors the lifter who receives the bar abruptly on locked knees, as the bar will come to a dead stop quicker.

In heavy workout such as PP 3-3-3-3-3 where the margin for error is much smaller and speed to completion is not an issue, coming to a dead stop between reps is probably a good idea.
Old 09-17-2007, 05:55 PM   #10
Fred Fialco

Profile:  

Thanks for the responses. I agree with the comments on proper form - that is important above all else, more important than numbers of reps. However, assuming the form is correct, the main issue was whether the continuous dip/drive is acceptable in the exercise. I had thought so, but was led to believe otherwise. Just wanted to check to see if there was an official Crossfit position on this.