CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-14-2007, 04:57 AM   #1
Matt Williams

Profile:
Wall mounted pullup bar

Has anyone got any crafty solutions for this one?

I have a small space garage setup - about 10' x 14' - and my next project is to get a pullup bar and something to hang rings from installed.

I've searched tons of threads but nothing really fits the bill. The main problem is that the roof falls from about 12' to 6 1/2' from the house to outside garage wall. Also the main roof beam is at about 9' and is at an angle. This means the bar really has to be mounted to the high wall.

At the moment my options are to buy a couple of 2' heavy duty bag brackets and attach a bar between them (quite pricey in the UK) or I have a mate who can build me a wooden frame with a high bar for attaching the rings and a removeable bar for pullups, that is secured to the wall - but will take up precious floorspace.

Any ideas opinions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 09-14-2007, 06:53 AM   #2
Matt DeMinico

Profile:
Re: Wall mounted pullup bar

If I were at home I could take some pictures of what I did. If you can find a good spot on the roof joists to screw into, you can screw a ~4.5 foot long piece of 2" x 6" wood between four joists (screw into all of 'em) (assuming they're 16" spacing between the roof joists). Then you can find some black iron pipe (should sell it at a hardware store), attach two "floor flange" pieces to the 2x6 you just attached to the roof, and screw your black pipe into that. Then just put a 3-way 90-degree flange on each piece, and attach them with another piece of black pipe. Then add a second connection as a brace that goes back up to the ceiling...

Um... I'm just realizing this is a very poor description... I'm going to have to take a picture when I get home. I did something similar with a dip bar.

Or you could just get rings and skip a pullup bar alltogether.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Matt Williams

Profile:

Thanks Matt. The problem is there are no joists! So nothing to attach to on the roof construction....
Old 09-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:

What about a corner mount? Attach 45 degree flanges to studs on perpendicular walls and run the bar between them.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:36 AM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:

What's the roof framing like, aside from the 1 beam you described. Are there exposed rafters? I might be inclined to work solely with rings, attached to eye-bolt fittings on the rafters.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
Matt Williams

Profile:

I'll post up photo as soon as I can - its pretty hard to explain.

There are no rafters, basically a baton on the side of the house which the roof slopes down from to the external garage wall where it rests on. There is a central joist running the length of the garage in the middle but it's angled with the pitch/incline of the roof.

Not sure if that makes sense?!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:46 AM   #7
Brandon Oto

Profile:

You could hang two slats at different lengths from the joist, creating a level surface and putting a pipe between them. There was something like that in my old room... probably for hanging clothes, but I used it for pullups as well.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #8
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I think I'm understanding the framing. The garage has a sloping shed roof, attached at its highest point to the exterior of the house wall, and at its lowest point to the exterior wall of the garage. While there's one longitudinal beam running parallel to the house wall, there are no cross-beams or rafters etc. Sound right?

As that single beam is 9' up, I'd still use it to hang rings. In fact, it sounds pretty ideal.

I'd get two large diameter eye-bolts, drill through the beam's cross section, and install them with large washers and locking nuts. Then use caribiners etc. to hang rings from the beam. I'd be inclined to do this near to one end of the beam, rather than right in the middle ... stronger. It really won't matter that the beam follows the slope of the roof, so long as the eyes of the eye-bolts are on the "downhill" side.

t.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:09 PM   #9
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

It sounds like your best bet is to make the main support come from the floor, and just two braces that goes to the wall for support in that direction.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:12 PM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

BTW, I mounted rings using exactly the method Tom describes, except that I screwed the eyelets vertically up into the wood, and just let one ring have a bit more slack to compensate for the height difference.