CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #1
Samuel Fold

Profile:
Question Wearing gloves for pull ups - cheating?

Hello there,

From the large amount of pull ups ive been doing recently, i've been seriously getting bad callouses at the base of my fingers which have been getting steadily worse each day.

I think that when I do my workout today the skin will actually tear. Ive done this before and know its agony and also takes a good while to heal.

Is it wrong to use gloves for pull ups? I cant see them having much of an advantage other than not wrecking my hands..
Old 09-08-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Re: Wearing gloves for pull ups - cheating?

Some might call you a sissy for using gloves. I prefer chalk. I suggest you try chalk as it gives you a closer grip on the bar and prevents callous problems. If after trying chalk you decide you like gloves then use them. Also "New Skin" is great if you do tear a callous. Additionally get a pumice stone or a file or just scratch of the dead skin while you are in the shower. I think Beast Skills has a nice article about hand care.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Roger Harrell

Profile:

Rips are common when you start doing a high volume of bar work. Take care of your hands, shave your callouses down. When you rip keep them moist and covered for a couple of days. Your hands will actually heal faster down the road a bit, and you'll rip far less often. Gloves aren't wussy, but they can compromise your grip.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Callus care (wfs): http://www.beastskills.com/calluses.htm
Old 09-08-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Christine Reinhart

Profile:

I have been struggling with the same dilemma, with regard to wearing gloves. I have always worn gloves, but recently I have been finding that gloves seem to be more of a hindrance than a help (i.e., causing callouses mid-finger, where the bar pinches the end of the glove). However, like you, my problem is that my hands are getting quite sore doing pull ups, heavy DL, cleans, etc when I don't wear the gloves. So...I have decided to use the gloves, but less and less each workout (weaning myself off them, if you will), and I figure my hands will have no choice but to toughen up. I'm also hoping my grip strength will improve. My experiment seems to be working so far. Good luck!

Christine
Old 09-08-2007, 10:39 AM   #6
Christine Reinhart

Profile:

Thanks for the link George!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:43 AM   #7
Samuel Fold

Profile:

I second that, thanks for the link G

Christine, I also want to go with bare hands rather than gloves. I want to increase my grip strength as much as possible and I also figure it will be a bit like playing the guitar. At first your fingers get as sore as hell from holding down chords, but after a while the fingers toughen up..
Old 09-09-2007, 06:14 AM   #8
James Falkner

Profile:

One of the el-cheapo oly bars I have has some tough knurling. I own a pair of the "harbinger" brand gloves with the fingers cut off (please don't kick me out of crossfit). Anyway, they work ok for tough knurling on bars but they sucked for pullups and heavy deads. It felt like a) I was gripping a much thicker bar, and b) a lot of strain was placed on my fingertips, as they were having to hold onto the bar much tighter for some reason. So they normally sit unused unless I am forced to use the tough-knurled bar for intermediate weights.

Anyone found any full gloves (e.g. with the fingers)? I've seen some American football players wearing gloves and they look pretty nice, might be an option for pullups. However I agree with the other posters, chalk and training are your best bet for the longer term. However, "manly" calluses rubbing on soft skin (e.g. wife/gf) can sometimes be a surprise (good or bad).
Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #9
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

I try to manage my calluses as suggested by Roger and on beast skills. When that doesn't work and I rip the crap out of my hands, I tape up where it hurts:
(w/f/s)
http://rifsblog.blogspot.com/2007/05...our-hands.html

This way I'm not hurting everytime I grip the bar, but I still have a normal grip from not using gloves.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #10
Brandon Oto

Profile:

I file nowadays. The only real problem I encounter anymore is when I'm putting down high-rep deadlifts or cleans, and the slight bounce when it hits the ground makes the knurling rebound into the web of my thumb. There's a patch missing from last week's Elizabeth now.