CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-23-2007, 08:18 AM   #1
Brian De Mio

Profile:
Walk a mile in 8 minutes.

Ok have an interesting question. This is kind of silly for most of you folks but I thought I would ask.

I'm new to this program and currently just learning form and function. So pretty much a newb to this. Anyway,

I was talking to a co-worker today feeling pretty "special" cause I ran out and tested my one mile sprint (trying to change over from the long distance arena).

It's taken me a couple months of training where I have it under the 8 minute mark.

My co-worker immediately burst whatever ego I was building when she told me her 75 y/o grandmother walks a 2.5 mile route in 20 minutes. I equate that to an 8 minute mile. And she is walking!

I was just wondering if any of you folks are seeing this with others in this age group. I think this is a pretty phenominal feat for 70 years old and someone who hasn't done any fitness training.

I know when I was in high school I'd do a fast walk home for 2 miles in about 15. But I was pretty close to running.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #2
Sean McCue

Profile:
Re: Walk a mile in 8 minutes.

That's one fast power-walking grandma. If she is doing a mile in under 8 minutes she isn't walking.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:22 AM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:

Whoa. One of my personal goals is to get to where I can jog under an 8 minute mile again. Right now, I'm in the 8s, but I only do it a few times a month. Knees kill if I do it anymore than that.

That's one fast grandma or one grandchild that truly doesn't have an appreciation to what they are discussing. One things for sure, if it's true, her walking gate is way faster than my jog.

All the best,
Arden
Old 08-23-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
Gant Grimes

Profile:

According to USA Track & Field, the indoor race-walking record for a 5K is 18:07. That's hoofing it.

http://www.usatf.org/groups/RaceWalking/records/ (w/f safe)
Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #5
John D Wilson

Profile:

Your friend needs to check his facts. A sub seven minute walking mile is right up there with the four minute mile.

Twice in my life I have had the same experience: running and golf.

When I started running (a long, long, time ago) I had several friends tell me their amazing times. One close to thirty (and a heavy smoker) disdained my running. He said he measured a mile in his neighborhood - and ran it twice in under 12 minutes. Some time later we went for a run together - his 6 minute miles had morphed into 9 + minutes.

Anybody who plays golf has met several guys who claim to drive the ball 370 yards or so. Yea, right!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
Gary Wimsett

Profile:

I'm not an accomplished long distance runner by any stretch but I've logged one marathon and 4 half-marathons. I've seen race walkers at all of these events - even an off-road trail half. Good ones can really move out - trust me on this. I'd rather not elaborate!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #7
Steve Lobotsky

Profile:

The first time I ran a 5k many years ago I ran across some race walkers.
The race was an out and back. I saw these 2 young women on their way back before I got to the turn, I was close to them but they were still ahead. I never did catch them. I found out later they were training for the Olympic trials.World class race walkers. My ego was a little less bruised.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #8
Brian De Mio

Profile:

Holy moses 5k walking in 18 minutes.

Best I ever did was a 3 mile run in the Marine Corps at 19:28. I ran all out at the start until I could barely run anymore heh.

I guess it could be that this is what she has done all her life and gotten very good at it... but sheesh 75 y/o and 8 minute mile? I want whatever she is drinking hahahahahha.

Oh hey just looked at your site Gant. Record for a 75 y/o female 5k is 35:33. Thats a little more than 11 min miles.

So hmmmm....

Last edited by Brian De Mio : 08-23-2007 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:30 PM   #9
Grant Anderson

Profile:

And the 75-79 year old women's record for 3000 M is 20:50.00. Thats 1.86 miles. I imagine this person had probably never been timed running, because if they had, they would have a much more realistic view of times versus distances. I ran cross country in high school, getting down to about 16:50 5k, and its so annoying when obviously unathletic people are all like "Oh, I can run 3 miles in 15 minutes, its not that hard." Cause it is. Thats why not everyone can do it.

Anyhow, thats was half facts, half rant. Enjoy.
Old 08-24-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Bob Long

Profile:

2 and a half miles in 20 minutes? That I'd have to see. I've been running and stuff for 27 years and my experience has been that most people who don't run regularly have no idea how long a mile is. A retired guy told me he walks five miles every day in under an hour. I knew the course he said he used so I measured it with a calibrated wheel and it was about 3 1/2 miles. My guess is people are measuring distance with their cars which are reliably inaccurate. Still, I guess it's possible. I'd have a problem running it that fast though.