CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 12-14-2006, 04:01 AM   #1
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
AND IT'S IN CANADA!!

"Speaking with media on hand to cover Wednesday's UFC Fight Night in San Diego, UFC president Dana White revealed that Georges St. Pierre would defend his welterweight belt versus Matt Hughes April 7 in Montreal.

The fight would mark the third time St. Pierre and Hughes tangled in the Octagon, as well as UFC's first foray into Canada.

The 170-pound stars first met in Oct. 2004 in Atlantic City, where Hughes (40-5-0) won by submission with one second remaining in the opening round to capture the vacant belt.

St. Pierre (13-1-0) earned his revenge — and the belt — last month with a dominant second-round stoppage over the 33-year-old American.

Before St. Pierre, 25, can set his mind on Hughes, the champ must first get past Matt Serra, winner of the welterweight division on The Ultimate Fighter 4, February 3 in Las Vegas."

Work/family safe link to the news article: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=6337
Old 12-14-2006, 10:06 AM   #2
Evan Fitts

Profile:
If Dana said it, it must be true! Like when he brought Wanderlei and Chuck into the Octagon after Shamrock/Ortiz 2 and promised that if Chuck beat Babalu we'd get to see the big one.

Seriously though, this is good news. Although I had hoped maybe Penn and Hughes would rematch to see who might get GSP (assuming he beats Serra's brains in, as I suspect he will). Oh well, maybe BJ/Hughes 3 will be saved for a title bout in the future. Hopefully sooner than later.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
I think Matt could use more time to work on defending GSP's improved striking skills. I guess we'll see, though.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:47 PM   #4
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Evan -- I think this is pretty different as far as announcements since it involves two fighters within the UFC, not between UFC and Pride. Pride used Dana for their own marketing purposes.

Personally, once again, I am tired of the endless rematches. I'd rather see GSP fight somebody else, first.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Evan Fitts

Profile:
Becca,

You're definitely right about that. Sometimes it's just fun to be cynical.

And as for rematches, they can be boring, but when you have a handful of great fighters (Penn, Hughes, GSP), I think it's fun to watch the rivalries develop.
Old 12-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
Steven Ray Lunsford Jr.

Profile:
I am a big fan of Matt Hughes and I would love to see him take the belt back from Pierre, the only problem with that is that I just don't see it happening. I'm not saying it can't happen, but it just seems as though Hughes has lost a little bit of his drive to win, and not only that but Pierre hasn't done anything except get thristy for more. Pierre is young, extremely fast, excellent striker, excellent ground game, and although I like Hughes better I have alot of respect for Pierre and I think he is defiantly the best welterweight out there right now and that includes UFC, Pride, and any other MMA welterweights. I think the best contender for Pierre right now is Diego Sanchez and I think Sanchez has a better shot a beating Pierre right now because he is hungry and has been fighting extremely hard for a while now.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:37 PM   #7
Travis Hall

Profile:

wow. i gotta start saving some money.

i'm with evan- st.pierre and hughs always put on a good show. although, sometimes too short a show- but always a bloody one!

you gonna be visiting montreal anthony?

t.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:43 AM   #8
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Travis, we definitely want to, but we have A LOT on the go next spring (building a house, opening a crossfit gym, getting engaged ... all that fun stuff!), so it really depends on how well we can manage our time.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:55 AM   #9
Leon Robotham

Profile:
Like Becca said,

tired of the endless rematches. The UFC has obviously done a lot for MMA but it seems like theres not as much exicitement as there used to be. The only thing Ive seen of late which has been particularly exciting to me was the anderson silva v franklin (I love his clinch) and the GSP v Hughes 2. I think that GSP is much better in mma as he is the ultimate all rounder but please UFC bring in some more talent a give the public variety.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 AM   #10
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
Well they did sign , rampage, herring, Machado, and various other small names like Crocop....hahahahahah.....This years is going to be good.