CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-23-2007, 10:45 AM   #51
Nicholas J Marquis

Profile:
I had the same questions as Scott. If it is this website www.boxingincorporated.com it looks like they have 2 locations.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:31 PM   #52
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Here's what Udall Park's fitness course does have:

3 pullup bars of different heights
~10' long parallel bars (dip bars)
Flat situp board with feet-hook (only good for 1 person at a time)
4 single-leg step-up mini platforms of different heights
Horizontal monkey bars
Vertical monkey bars
~8' high chain-link fences to do HSPUs against
1/3 mile (I think) running course (dirt or paved, your choice)
Plenty of grassy area

I think there is plenty of stuff there that the only equipment that might be needed would be a supply of kettlebells. A simple workout would be much better than a complicated one.

FYI, the UA Rec Center and Bear Down Gym has OL platforms and some bumpers. I hear that alumni memberships are only ~$330/year now.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:48 PM   #53
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Garrett- Sounds like a great place to start up some CrossFit. I'm not really experianced in CrossFit, just general athletics and working out. Could somone maybe devise a workout based on the equipment avalible?

Lets do this thing!
Old 03-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #54
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Which Boxing Inc has bumpers? I've never seen them there at the location I checked out. I was always turned off by the fact that they make you sign a contract and have a very high sign-up fee (and I've heard from about a half dozen people that the boxing classes are only mediocre.) What kind of bumpers and bars do they have? There's a powerlifting gym I'm checking out soon on Broadway and Rosemont/Swan that assured me over the phone that they have bumpers and Olylifting bars, but I want to go check out the bar to make sure it has the right spin to it because they said it was an IPF bar not IWF.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:00 PM   #55
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I was thinking of something like Helen (run, KB swings, pullups) or something like that. We can always make up something based on all of the equipment we have around, like a chipper...

I have pairs of all the "major" KB sizes from 18# to 70#, so I can contribute that much. We may not be able to have everyone going at once, heck, even CFHQ has to break up people into workout groups! That's the benefit of short workouts--without a whole lot of equipment, you can still work out a lot of people in a relatively short time...

Just to confirm, we're talking about April 7 as the workout day, right?
Old 03-23-2007, 04:13 PM   #56
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Okay, I called Boxing Inc. (the one on Stone) and while they do have bumper plates, they don't have a platform.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:58 PM   #57
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
No platform = no problem...it's their equipment!

BTW--the Apollo kbs that some Play it Again Sports are carrying aren't too shabby. $1/lb, no shipping. Might be worth the trip if anyone's interested. There's a store carrying them right over near me.

I might be down toward Tucson one of these holidays--I'd love to escape the in-laws for a workout!
Old 03-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #58
Nicholas J Marquis

Profile:
4/7 sounds about right to me.

Oh yeah, myspace name is Grand Marquis

Nick
Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #59
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I personally didn't like the feeling I initially got from the owners of Boxing Inc. I brought up the idea of CF to them later in the conversation and they just didn't get what I was trying to help them offer. Oh well, their loss.

Since I know that the Tucson people are likely reading this: I don't believe that I'm going to be able to pull off starting CF Tucson by myself, so I'm looking for someone to cooperate with on this project. This can be in terms of $$ or just time--I simply don't have the time to do everything it will take. So, PM or email me if you are interested in really helping (whatever that means to you).
Old 03-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #60
Yael Grauer

Profile:
There are three different Boxing Inc. locations and I believe three different owners. The one that I met could be the coolest guy in the world or just the opposite depending on what day you got him on.

Okay, so the gym with bumper plates is legit-- anybody who wants the info feel free to e-mail/pm me.

Nick, couldn't find your myspace under that name.

So if we're on for that Saturday, anybody want to pick a time? That way I could start inviting people... Also if anybody can bring their girlfriend, wife, female training partner, etc. that would be sweet! Not absolutely necessary but it'd be nice to not be the only woman there.