CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:57 AM   #1
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Anyone know of anyone who does Crossfit in tucson in either a facility or a garage style/park thing?

I'm interested in starting crossfit and looking for some training buddies. If interested shoot me an e-mail at scottponte@cox.net

I'm in the USAF, and I'm 22 in pretty decent shape but I would like to push it to the limit.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:38 PM   #2
Neil Wattier

Profile:
Scott
I would love to help out when I get there. Davis-Monthan AFB is my June '08 follow-on after Osan
I know that doesn't help now, but I do have experience incorporating CF into squadron PT programs, teaching Get Fit classes through the HAWC and leading sessions from my garage for friends and my kids.
Let me know if there's anything I can help with enroute.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Kenneth Urakawa

Profile:
Hi Scott--if one of the locals doesn't chime in first (Garrett, Yael, Nick, et al), I'll forward on some contact info for the folks down there. And definitely look us up if you get up to tempe.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:32 PM   #4
Scott Ponte

Profile:
Neil- I just sent ya an e-mail

Ken- Awesome, any information you have would be great. If there are no crossfit groups around maybe I could get one started. Nothing professional just casual, maybe workout in a park or a garage if somone has an empty one (Yeah right :P). I'd be willing to get some equipment that can be easily moved for all to use providing they share thier experiance/equipment.

Any more info would be great.

Thanks again
Old 03-19-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Scott, just sent you an e-mail with the 411. I'm focusing on Olylifting now (lots of progression exercises) but would be down for a Crossfit WOD in the park (or wherever) anytime.

The gym at the AFB ain't bad...
Old 03-19-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
Scott Ponte

Profile:
I'm not by any means doggin on Davis-Monthans gym in the least. That gym is great for bodybuilding. But there is no room for overhead squats since everyones always doing bicep curls for years. No wall to throw a ball against, no poly boxes, no rope to climb etc. I could make due but I would much rather workout with a bunch of crossfitters too since I don't know a whole lot about it.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:28 PM   #7
David Paton

Profile:
Yael: I sent you an email about a coach.

Scott is right. the gym at the AFB isn't conducive for any kind of snatches, cleans, OHS etc. I quit going there and bought all of the equipment i need. the best move i've made in a while.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:57 PM   #8
Yael Grauer

Profile:
I've only been there a couple times, what do I know. I did Cindy once and then some kind of Murph variation. I like that there was a track that was almost completely empty and a gym with medicine balls and a Gravitron all in one place. I can't find a gym with a track in Tucson so have to either go to the park after or do the treadmill thing. My gym now has a teeny tiny track that you need to run around like 20 times for a mile. Anyways, I think mostly I just felt all cool because I got driven around on base. I still get all excited about like that. :-)
Old 03-20-2007, 04:14 AM   #9
Scott Ponte

Profile:
lol, well hows about I trade you guys crossfit mentoring for joyrides on base? lol

David what equipment did you get to start off with? I'm going to be moving out of my house and into an apartment so I guess most crossfit exercises are out with the exception of bodyweight.
Old 03-20-2007, 08:33 AM   #10
Neil Wattier

Profile:
If you have access to a park, you can easily make use of most equipment, purchased or homemade. Make rings from pvc pipe and suspend them with cargo straps from just about anything (i.e. tree branches, football/soccer goals, bleachers...). Also, paralletes from pvc, medicine balls from basketballs, plyo boxes from plywood...
I have all the above directions saved from previous discussion posts. I can send them via email.
Also, there is a very helpful website that breaks down the best/easiest way to build a home gym. The web address is on my home computer. I'll post it later... unless anyone else has that information.