CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Jason Rambo

Profile:
Hi, there. My name is Jason and I am a CrossFit newbie. I have read the Introduction to Fitness essay you have posted on this website and I notice that your system places a strong emphasis on pull-ups, which I’m not strong enough to do yet. I can manage a few with the assistance of a machine at my gym. (This is c. 40 pounds worth of assistance.) But I’d like to get that out of the way as soon as possible and progress to the real thing.

A couple of years ago, when I was more focused on aerobic workouts, I saw an program called “Couch to 5K” which promised to take people from an untrained state to the ability to run a short course. Does something comparable exist for the pull-up? If so, where can I find it?

Many thanks in advance.
Old 05-23-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Chris Walls

Profile:
I would also be interested in something like this for my wife. She's very keen on getting away from the gravitron and out on her own.

We recently put up a little bar in a doorway at home where I have her working on getting a full jumping pullup.

Once she has full jumping pullups, I'm going to have her hang at the top for as long as she can, followed by a slow decent (read negative) and repeat.

I remember seeing a really good link from here, I think it was to an affiliate, where there were several "programs" designed at getting the first pullup but I can't find it.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #3
Ron Wilhelm

Profile:
Sage Burgener shares her experience of using kipping pullups to go from none to five dead hang here:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/27714.html
Old 05-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
Scott Amory

Profile:
I registered just to post in this thread.

I started doing CrossFit in mid March some time. At that time I could not do a single pullup or kip. In fact I've always been athletic and big (280ish now) I've never been able to do an unassisted pullup. But now barely over the 2 month mark I can do 3 fair pullups (can't go from dead hang quite yet) and I'm starting to figure out the kip. I couldn't be much happier. The only thing I've been doing different is doing the WOD and whenever pullups show up do jumping with as little jump as is needed.

Keep at it and you'll get there.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:54 AM   #5
Jason Rambo

Profile:
OK, great! I've got something to start with here.

Thank you very much!