CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 06-12-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
Kevin Edwards

Profile:
Hello,
Can anyone tell me if someone is crossfit certified, does that mean they are able to teach O lifts?
Kevin
Old 06-12-2006, 09:35 PM   #2
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Kevin, I think the answer is CrossFit certified trainers are versed in at least the basics of Oly Lifting enough to teach for execution of the WOD. Additionally, certification to teach Oly lifts is offered in 2 day courses by Coach Mike Burgener out of Mike's Gym.

I'm sure someone from one of the affiliates can tell us the official CrossFit policy on who they will let coach under the umbrella of CrossFit trainer certs.

Were you thinking of getting certified? :-) or looking for someone certified to coach you?
Old 06-13-2006, 04:32 AM   #3
Kevin Edwards

Profile:
Laura,
I was looking for some one to teach me for the wods.
There is a new crossfit/MMA school that opened in Virginia beach VA. They are about 45min. away.
I was thinking of going there and asking them to teach me the o lifts. I hear that if they are not done right you could hurt yourself so I was wondering how well they are taught when they are certified.
Kevin
Old 06-13-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
Laura Rucker

Profile:
Yes, form is very important to safety and many CF trainers take additional coaching certs for O lifts. They are usually very strict about using PVC pipe and very light weight to teach form before letting anyone use even an Oly bar. Other than talking to the trainer/s, one thing I would recommend is get the book Starting Strength - its not just good for coaches.

If the affliate from Virgina Beach posts here, I'm sure they will chime in.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:27 PM   #5
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Moving to Community.
Old 06-13-2006, 04:32 PM   #6
David Wood

Profile:

Kevin, I'll second what Laura said.

I think we need to distinguish between

"coach/teach the O-lifts well enough to become a national-caliber competitor"

and

"coach/teach the O-lifts well enough to ensure safety and a dynamite training benefit (as derived from the WODs)"

The former is really something *very* technical, and I don't think most CrossFit certified coaches would present themselves as being at that level. (I know I'm not.) For this, you would need to find a USWA-certified coach, and possibly not even all of these.

But if you're more concerned about the latter, then yes, I think you'll get excellent training at any CrossFit affiliate.

Yes, you should absolutely be starting light . . . very light . . . PVC or broomstick. (As Coach Burgener has demonstrated many times, it's quite possible to get a significant training effect with repeated drills using a PVC . . . grown men have been near tears at the end of one of his sessions.)

You should get your form perfect (or at least near-perfect) on the PVC, then move to a PVC filled with sand (maybe 5 - 15 pounds), then just a thin bar (25 pounds), all before trying it with an Oly bar (45 pounds).

Incidentally, I met Buck Grant (the Virgina Beach affiliate owner) recently, and you won't find a better gentleman anywhere.

Yes, you should train there . . . but don't expect to be snatching bodyweight in a month.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:06 PM   #7
Kevin Edwards

Profile:
great advice,
Thanks to everyone. I will get in touch with Buck
Kevin