CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 09-02-2005, 11:39 AM   #1
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
We haven't been too active working out recently or posting anything. Just moved to a new house and had a bouncing baby girl! Nathalie Elise was born 8/23 and mom (Leanne) and her are doing great. Nathalie came with a triple set of lungs that she loves to show off and will prove useful for future Crossfit workouts.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful comments on nutrition and working out while pregnant a few months ago - Leanne is recovering very quickly!

If anyone has the definitive guide to baby care, I'd love a copy!

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/13625.jpg
Old 09-02-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Becca Borawski

Profile:
Awww, mom, baby and dog are all adorable! Congrats!
Old 09-02-2005, 03:36 PM   #3
Jason Erickson

Profile:
Congratulations!!

:proud:

For Future Reference:

A coworker has been raving about the success he and his wife and some friends have had with a newer method of toilet training. The book is called "Toilet Training In Less Than A Day" and apparently works very well. My coworker's cousin got her 1-1/2 year old trained in about a day. His own son is 1/2 through the first day and already going without diapers successfully. He's even indicating when he has to go, then using the toilet.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:17 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Wow, mom looks terrific...happy and no sign of baggy eyes, bloated face or brittle hair. NE has a wonderfully round head (mine was pointed) and a great perky little nose. Cute already. Mine were a bit ugly for awhile. Love that finger sucking thing they do.

Books? You don't need no stinking books. We got hold of every book we could find on the topic both for Chandra and me and never really found much that wasn't what we were already doing or would be doing when the time came. Love her, hold her a lot, talk to her constantly, lots of eye contact and skin to skin contact, breast feed, cooing, hugging...the stuff you know you should be doing and would do without anyone telling you so.

I've had a couple rotts over the years and am certain that they were the loving wonderful dogs they were because we exposed them to the world early and often and let them interact with people, kids, other dogs and whatever else was in our world and they both turned out to be kind, loving terrific animals. Don't put the kid in a plastic sack and shelter her from the world. Don't spend every evening with Lysol cleaning all the door knobs. Don't saw the corners off your tables, run away at the first sign of a kid with the sniffles or freak out when she eats a bug. We all have our different tolerances for how far you let your kid go but exposure creates fear inoculation and an adventurous spirit. It can also create chipped teeth, black eyes an other owies. The bad with the good I guess.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/13643.jpg

This is my little Sammie up on the climbing wall when she was 2 1/2...she's 3 now. My efforts have been to get her and her brother used to doing rather than watching. We don't have TV and the kids don't play video games, we read together every night. We minimize the amount of time either my wife or I are not home with them and we include them in most all that we do. In a few minutes I will head out to my gym (a 1,500 square foot garage) and to await the arrival of some afternoon folks that I train. The kids will be out there with me and will climb the walls, the cargo net and mimic the training we do. Sammie even has her own stick for the Burgener warm up. I can only hope they will be like Connor and the other kids who are the future of CrossFit.

By the way, in spite of what you may have heard to the contrary, boys and girls are different. Yeah, I know, a big shocker there, but I think UCLA or some other fine institution for learning spent a bunch of money to figure that out so they could tell us what anyone with a brain already knows. You might consider reading books about different teaching/learning methods for boys and girls but no matter what read to her and talk to her all the time and unplug the TV.

You are going to love this kid thing and it really does go by way too fast.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/13644.jpg

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/3499/13645.jpg
Old 09-02-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
Cassi Nesmith

Profile:
Wonderful news. Your baby is almost exactly a year younger than ours. Corinne was born 8/25/04 and was also a big screamer - The Happiest Baby on the Block by Dr. Karp saved her and our lives. Check it out in VHS or DVD, if you haven't already. Get it send express mail, it's that useful.

We also loved "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears and company. It contains readable, yet encyclopedic knowledge about babies for the first two years. He had seven kids of his own, two of whom, I believe, are in practice with him now.

Again, congratulations!
Old 09-03-2005, 01:00 AM   #6
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Wow - she is beautiful. And the baby too! :happy:

www.lalecheleague.com
The womanly art of breastfeeding

Both of those are good even if your not breastfeeding because they talk a lot about basic parenting things and ditch all the extra gadgets and gimics in exchange for a whole lot of love and cuddling.

Here is a link to an article I wrote that was published a few years ago and I even got fan letters about:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMarApr00p36.html

Anything else you want to know, write me directly. This is an area that I worked in for many years and am happy to share knowledge about.

Eugene's comments are excellent. Only thing - don't start the baby on tabata squats until she can stand confidently!

Old 09-07-2005, 06:23 AM   #7
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
Thanks everyone for the great comments and suggestions! It's amazing that 2 weeks has gone by so fast already.

Beth, your article suggestion was very timely - thanks!
Old 09-07-2005, 06:57 AM   #8
Allen Yeh

Profile:
Steve,

Right now my son is going to be 8 weeks on saturday. It doesn't feel like it's been 1 week and in 9 days he will be 2 months. Crazy stuff huh? Congratulations!