CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 05-06-2007, 02:55 PM   #1
charlie cooke

Profile:
Hi

I have been doing crossfit for the last three months and have really enjoyed it. Besides crossfit I also do MMA. Over the last two months I have developed soreness in both my elbows. The soreness/pain is right at the top of the elbow (the pointy part). THe pain can go away after I am well into a set of pushups or pullups. The soreness/pain is there even durning the rest of the day/night. The elbows are tender and really hurt if tey bump into anything. I just returned from a 5 day vacation and my elbows bothered me the entire time even though I did not workout during my trip - I was hoping that the rest would help.

I would appreciate any help or guidance.

Charlie
Old 05-07-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
David Bennett

Profile:
Charlie, if relative rest and icing hasn't worked in a week or more, I suggest you seek medical help from a sports physician. It is better for you to take a short break from or modify your routine now than to keep going and develop a chronic injury.

I injured myself last year by ramping up the volume of kipping pull ups too quickly. Doing so led to a chronic case of inner elbow tendonitis. Because I didn't listen to my body and didn't seek help early, I just added time to my recovery. Crossfit is too much fun to miss out on. Take care of yourself so you can come back to the WODs as quickly as possbile. This may mean weeks or even a few months of reduced upper arm work.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Jibreel Freeland

Profile:
I find that pullups are too uniform to prevent elbow pain. Try doing exercises using different surfaces, tree branches, rock overhangs. Strengthening your muscles at different angles will go much further towards preventing chronic injury than high repetitions of uniform movements over a single movement plane. The angle of your grip, changed even slightly, can make big differences in the effects of bodyweight pulling motions.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:59 AM   #4
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I second Jibreel's suggestion.

Change your pullup grips set to set, even within the same workout. Overhand, underhand, commando style, rings (parallel grip), using a towel, body rows, etc.

Elbows seem to respond very well to Low Intensity (aka "cold") Laser Therapy, based upon my treatments of several CFers and their elbows. Look to www.meditech-bioflex.com w/f safe to find a practitioner in your area.
Old 05-09-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Matthew McCarty

Profile:
Strengthen your forearm extensors. That is most likely the imbalance that is causing the problem.

Ironmind makes some nice rubber bands for this.