CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-23-2006, 05:02 AM   #1
Departed

Profile:  
This problem started about 6 months ago, and whenever I play sports, I always wrench my shoulder.
Its not the muscle but the joint itself. It's not serious but its really annoying when I'm playing rugby or something and I have to sit out for a few rounds. It usually goes away after a few minutes of stretching but sometimes it lingers for weeks. Any suggestions would be really appreciated.
Gunnar
Old 02-27-2006, 06:44 AM   #2
Houston Holder

Profile:  
Get ready for some long-term rehab. I have 2 damaged rotator cuffs and I do daily rehab. I imagine that my problem is worse than yours because I have been woken up at night, everynight for years with shoulder pain. I have seen orthopedic surgeons, done Xrays and MRIs on both shoulders. Good news is that my range of motion is almost total, the daily pain is less and strength is returning. Though I commonly don't do bench presses, I now bench about 70% of body weight. A long way from 0% which is where I started after the damage. I have searched the internet for years in hopes of finding an imaginative cure. There isn't one to my knowledge. My rehab consists of supported internal and external rotations and side lying lateral raises, both with light weight. Both exercises focus on the supraspinatus which is probably the muscle that is at the bottom of your problem as well. I also do a lot of stretching. Lay off all sports that cause you to wrench your shoulder. Regrettably I can't seem to follow my own advice as I still snowboard. Good luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:16 AM   #3
Departed

Profile:  
Yea man, I also think that I couldn't lay off any sports but I asked my PE teacher and he said that I should stretch it, like you do, but everyday,not only after you already messed it up. Then its like a protective measure. Every morning I do this windmill thing and every other stetch that I can think of and so far my shoulder has been doing fine.