CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-20-2006, 12:46 PM   #1
Jan Szyndler

Profile:
Hello,
Can anyone tell me why I get a pain in my right hip when I drive for any longer than 45 minutes at a time? I think it may be a combo of piriformis/hip flexor/psoas and maybe even a little glute?? It is very localized and several other people I know also experience a similar pain.
I figure there must be some sort of hip stretch to help with this problem. Maybe some type of stretch utilizing jumpstretch bands?? I have no issues squatting rear-end to ankles, but I can't seem to drive without pain. Very annoying!!
A HUGE THANKS to anyone that can offer a solution.
Jan
Old 02-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #2
Kevin Burns

Profile:
ahhh. very familiar to me.

it could be that your hip flexors are tight. i have had the same problem. when they are tight it causes your hip shelf to rotate. this is what causes pain.

here is an example of a really good hip flexor stretch. http://www.exrx.net/Stretches/HipFle...HipFlexor.html

my hips were hurting recently and i realized i hadn't done that stretch in a while. it's great.

Old 02-20-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Not being glib here, but do you have a big wallet that you always keep in your right hip pocket? That can cause uneven sitting (i.e., alter your posture) and lead to cramping or soreness, I think.

Also, is that both with and without cruise control? Mayber you're pressing your leg down and cutting off some circulation in your hamstring, which can cause pain up higher in the hip area.

Good luck,
Rene'
Old 02-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #4
Jan Szyndler

Profile:
I don't carry a wallet at all, but you raise an interesting point rene because the pain does seem to let up if I can use the cruise more!
It also seems to help if I can twist my heel and have my toes pointing more toward the brake and the heel more toward the passenger side.

Kevin, thanks for the link to the stretches!! :-)

Jan

Kevin,
Old 02-21-2006, 05:42 AM   #5
Kevin Burns

Profile:
Jan,

I used to have the same problem alot. 2 years ago I had a bad injury to may back which i was told was a facet joint pressing in a nerve. I like you would suffer a little when driving and suffer terribly in an airplane for any length of time.

After much physicaly therapy that did just about nothing I came across an article in BackPacker Magazine about the famous Mountinaeer Ed Viesturs trying some new core medicine ball workouts. After about 2 weeks and 3-4 sessions doing these workouts my lower back problem was completely gone.

I have attached a scanned jpg from the article of the exercises. Good Luck.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/20196.jpg