CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 11-17-2004, 09:43 AM   #1
dave ojeda

Profile:
I noticed in the past couple of days that my left shoulder is clicking alot when I raise my arm and/or rotate it. I am experiencing no pain but the shoulder does not feel as "tight" as my right shoulder. It feels looser.

I have been doing a daily joint mobility program so my ROM in my shoulders is very good. And help or suggestions are welcomed.

Old 11-17-2004, 03:25 PM   #2
Brian Hand

Profile:

Dave, that clicking is probably impingement. If you have a certain spot that, when you move your arm through a range of motion, it clicks at that spot, it is usually impingement. It can be caused a million ways, it may cause trouble soon, it may cause trouble way off in the future, but don't ignore it. Often strengthening the rotator cuff and the muscles that stabilize the shoulderblades, and loosening up the pecs / front delts, will make it go away. I had a pretty loud click develop, and a couple ART treatments and some remedial work for the mid back got rid of it in 2-3 weeks.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:45 PM   #3
John MacLaren

Profile:  
To further Brians point on clicking in the shoulder capsule, strengtening the muscles will be of assistance only if the posture that typically creates the clicking is corrected. Otherwise is can exacerbate the issue itself. Often times a protracted (Forward) shoulder position even by a millimeter will lead to that click. This is particularly true in the case of the left shoulder. (A left/Right brain issue that I am sure God laughs about daily). During your workouts, try to pay specific attention to the retraction of the shoulders and scapula and the placement of the feet that one of them has not drifted backwards slightly to compensate for shoulder protraction. Lastly I would think to check your head and sternum position during your training. High and tight all the way around leads to good retraction and stable shoulders. Ok good luck obi wan
Old 12-06-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
Steve Sawyer

Profile:
Dave-
There have been good suggestions so far, although I wouldn't jump to the impingement Rx just yet. Impingement generally implies pain, which you don't seem to have. Our bodies make noises as we get older, and they're not all bad. Some rotator cuff strengthening will help, as will some bodywork.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:10 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The shoulder clicks because as it moves through that range of motion the muscles that are supposed to position the humerus within the joint fail to do their job. The humerus jams up against the socket until it 'clicks' past the sticking point.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:23 AM   #6
dave ojeda

Profile:
Thanks everyone for the feedback! I have pulled back alot on my shoulder work. I am working my ROM everyday and incorporating some rotator exercises. I will stick with this awhile and gauge the level and intensity of the clicking.

I do appreciate the suggestions and the education.

P.S. LINCOLN great description it makes total sense to me now.