CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-12-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
Jay Williams

Profile:  
First of all I would like to say hello to everyone and I'm glad I found this board!!
Now I have my first question.
While doing pullups does anyone else get a pain in their forearms?
To tell you exactly where you would have to turn your palms away from you so that you are looking at the back of your hands, just like in a pull up and about halfway up on your forearms is right where I get that pain.
The weird thing is somedays I get it and it hurts so bad I cant complete my required sets and reps, while other days it feels as though I could go on forever doing pull ups.
Every other day or so I do about 6-7 sets of 10-12 pull ups.
Is there something I'm not doing right or something I need to work on to prevent this pain from coming back?
Thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 07:41 AM   #2
Harold gilbert Cureau

Profile:

Jay-I know exactly what you are referring to-When I do intense pullup sessions, I get the pain in the upper forearm, near the crook of the elbow. The strange thing about it is it is only my left forearm. Days when I don't do pullups, the pain is non-existent. I can't pinpoint it, but it could be a variety of factors, including grip placement, the prior day's training, etc.-Gil
Old 04-13-2004, 10:32 AM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jay-
Can you deswcribe your pain a bit more? Does it hurt lifting, lowering, both? Post work out? Intense pain, difuse, heat? Weakness in gripping?
This might help zero in on what you have occuring.
Robb
Old 04-13-2004, 11:51 AM   #4
Jay Williams

Profile:  
The pain feels as though if someone is digging their fingers into my forearms, sort of like a sharp pain in the muscles of my forearm.
This pain doesn't last, usually about an hour or so and it doesn't happen everytime I do pull ups.

The next thing to tell you is this pain does not happen during the actual pullup phase BUT happens after I release my grip from the pullup bar.
Do a set of pullups and on your last rep let go of the bar to get ready for your next set, well that's when the pain starts to kick in.
I can complete my pullup workout but when the pain starts it's hard for me to do the first 3-4 reps, around the 6th rep the pain goes away until I release my grip from the bar and get ready for my next set.
Also, this doesn't happen everytime I do pullups, it might happen today then I won't experience this pain for a few days or so.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:08 PM   #5
Nicholas Nibler

Profile:
Jay,
I just got over a very nasty bout of inflamation to both elbow joints after a few months of weighted pullups. It started out as something similar to what you described and I did the usual, ignored it and kept training. Eventually it got to the point where I couldn't train.
I would back off the pullups before it gets too serious, take some NSAI and ice the area. Rob has a really good ice routine that I'll let him tell you about.
Good luck,
Nick
Old 04-13-2004, 01:56 PM   #6
Mike Yukish

Profile:
Ahhh, I get similar pain, which is greatly increased if I drop off the bar versus slowly releasing tension. I find the slow easing of tension at the end of pullup reps really helps. It means you have to be able to touch the floor, of course.

It doesn't start until 60+ pullups into a workout.

Also, vigorous massage of the region of forearm, before, during, and after seems to help.
Old 04-13-2004, 06:52 PM   #7
Dale S. Jansen

Profile:
If you are new to this and pullups, keep in mind that this is not a muscle that is often targeted by traditional p.t. also, the the position of the wrists in relation to the elbows is not typical. there is a lot of unaccustomed stress involved in the move, particularly if you are, again, new to it. if swelling developes or r.o.m. becomes decreased follow the advice on nsaid's and stick to chins for a while. if none of those things happen, good chance is only tendon/ligament/muscle adjusting to unfamiliar loads. just a thought. dale.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:26 AM   #8
Jay Williams

Profile:  
When I started I struggled with just getting 5 reps, I think I was doing a total of 25 pullups.
1 set of 5, 1 set of 2, 1 set of 4, whatever I could do on each set.
Now I'm up to doing 5-6 sets of 10-12 and I'm really trying for 1 set of 20, even more so now that.
The pain didn't start until I was able to do more sets and reps.
As was mentioned here, when I do chinups I can go all out and complete my workout with no forearm pain whatsoever, its when I do pullups its hurts.
I usually go back and forth, one day pullups, the next time chin ups.
I'd like to thank everyone for their advice and any more would be appreciated.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:43 AM   #9
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Here is the ice recomendation:
Agressively ice that elbow! Get a few styrofoam cups and fill them 3/4 full with water and then freeze them. Take one, peel the styrofoam down to about an inch below the ice and use this to ice the affected areas for 5-7 min 5-5 times per day (the remaining cup will protect your fingers from the cold, nice bonus). It will hurt! Ice it to numbness . If you can do this for a few days you will cut weeks off the rehab time.
Robb
Old 03-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
Larry Herzog Jr.

Profile:
Re: Experiencing forearm pain when doing pullups

hate to dig up an old thread, but this one describes the exact injury I currently have.

I will ice it. Do you think a regular diet of motrin would help speed recovery?