CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-04-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
William Tokash

Profile:
Hi, I am new to CF and am hoping to get started soon. I just ordered my rings, but I have one big question from you experienced folks. I have searched the fourms and can not find an answer.

How do I mount or hang my rings from the ceiling? I see from some of your pictures that you either mount them over an I-beam, or on eyelettes drilled into the I-beam, but I dont have one of those in my house or garage.

Will the rings support my weight if I mount some eyelettes into a stud in the ceilling? How do you recommend I mount them and what size or gage eyelette should I use. The last thing I want is to fall on my head because the rings pulled out of the celing. I am about 180-185lbs.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
Jerry Berg

Profile:

i drilled holes and then put in 6in long 1/2in wide eye bolts. I bought some 300lb test clips from home depot to clip on the bolts. holds me like a charm and it makes the rings very easy to take up and down.
Old 04-04-2007, 02:55 PM   #3
William Tokash

Profile:
Did you drill thru your drywall into two studs in the ceiling and sink the eye bolts? So the rings will then be about 16" apart?

If not, how did you do it? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
Jerry Berg

Profile:

that'd be the only way to do it. unless you want to rip down some dry wall and screw them into the sides of the ceiling joists. If you did that they would be more width adjustable, but i have a feeling you probably don't want to take down your ceiling.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
Kip Hanson

Profile:
I just recently mounted my rings in a finished garage (drywall on the ceiling).

I used a 48in 2x6 and 9 - 5/16" lag bolts to screw the 2x6 into 3 beams (my joists are 24in on center). Before securing the board to the ceiling I put 2 - 3/8" screw type eye bolts in at the recommended 50cm width. I use 2 D-rings to attach the ring straps to the eye bolts.

The D-rings also let you hang them from any bar (swingset, cable crossover, etc) without having to unthread the strap from the buckle.

Two things, If I did it over, I'd use a longer 2x6. 50-52in maybe. 2nd, unless you are short, muscle ups are tight! I can't do one yet but I don't think I have the clearance either.

Oh, and I am 5'10", 191 lbs and it holds me without a problem.... yet!

I mounted a pull up bar in a similar same way.

I'm at work now but will try and figure out how to post a pic soon.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
William Tokash

Profile:
So you mounted the eye bolts on a board and mounted the board to the ceiling? Sounds good. A pic would be very helpful. I think that is how I will mount mine too. Thanks a bunch.

What I was thinking of doing to get the proper distance, was to install the bolts in adjacent studs, but put one ahead of the other. The rings will not be square with the room, but that doesnt matter if they turn.
Old 04-05-2007, 09:17 PM   #7
Don King

Profile:
I also have a finished ceiling in my garage. I was able to mount my rings with eye hooks(can't remember size) by screwing them into two separate joists then connecting the straps with D rings. I'm around 200 lbs and have never had a problem. One thing I would suggest is to mount the rings as close to a load bearing wall or beam as possible.

Oh yeah, the hooks are 24" apart. http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/39448.jpg
Old 04-06-2007, 06:01 AM   #8
Kip Hanson

Profile:
2x6 mounted to 3 studs 24in on-center. Rings on screw type eye bolts 50cm (19.75 in - rounded up from 19.68in.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/39463.jpg

Same principle as above. The pipe is all 1 in diamater. The vericle pipe is 12in. With the 2x6, floor mount, 12in pipe and the elbow, I have a good 15-16in of clearance. It is pleanty for me. The bar is a little long 60in. I had to choose 24in or 60in, the Depot was out of 36 and 48 at the time and I didn't want to wait. This is very solid. I kip on it (or at least think I do) and they don't budge at all.

27 in 2x6 on 24 oc joists. Space as needed for bar width.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/39464.jpg

This is what I mean about the D-rings. I take them to the gym with me and hang them from the cable crossover this way.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/39465.jpg

You can get everything you need from Home Depot or Lowes. I think I made the parallelets, mounted the rings and made the pull-up bar for under $50. I had scrap 2x6 and PVC primer/glue laying around so that's not included.

For me I wanted as much weight distribution as I could. I also wanted the rings at the recommended 50cm width.

Hope this helped!
Old 04-06-2007, 06:42 AM   #9
Don King

Profile:
Kip,

Nice job. Definitely better weight distribution than screwing the eye-bolts directly into the joists.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:02 AM   #10
Stefan Borovina

Profile:
Kip, that is a great setup you have going.

How high are the rings whe they are attached? I have read that the lower the rings hang the more stable they are. Do you have any problems doing muscleups or any other movements when working with your rings?