CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-24-2007, 03:18 PM   #1
Brody Dittemore

Profile:
I've been looking around at wall-mounted pullup bar options and came across this guy's store on Ebay (http://stores.ebay.com/The-Bar-Stool-Guy). The prices look good, design looks ok, and he'll customize the bars for you. He also has dip bars.

Has anyone had any experiences with his products?

Thanks,

Brody.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:39 PM   #2
Jeff Davis

Profile:
My friend bought one from him, went down there and picked it up. Said the guy is really wierd but otherwise everything is cool. I did't care much for the finish on the bar, kind of slippery. That was about a year ago so maybe he has improved the finish.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #3
Ryan Heck

Profile:
I bought one about a year ago. Decent bar, not super bomber and seems to have a lot of flex when kipping on it but so far it has lasted for me (190lbs.) If I was considering it now I would lean toward an again faster bar.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:44 PM   #4
Brody Dittemore

Profile:
Good points, and thanks for the input. I'm still not set on the pullup solution. I want something that I can develop a kip on, and I've also read that wall mounted bars are hard for that due to the short distance to the wall.

The Again Faster Bar might be the direction I go, or a home made static version. If I don't do the wall mount, I'll create something similar to what is shown here: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/37172.html. Instead I'll run the pipe about 1-2" off the ceiling, and then drop the Again Faster Bar or the static bar down from there. That would also give me room to hang rings and maybe even a heavy bag. By static bar I mean something along the lines of the DIY garage bars that are hung fron the ceiling joists.

I've spent about two months trying to figure out how to make my workout room useful. It is about 9ft x 9ft, and the bench takes up a good chunk of that space. No chance for one of those free-standing pullup stations. Going with the pipe along the ceiling opens up a lot of options where I could slide things along it for when I need it.

Brody.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:01 PM   #5
Nick Cruz

Profile:
The Home Depot pipe on the ceiling option is THE way to go, in my humble opinion. I have mine mounted to a 2 x 9 mounted to the rafters. It is completely bomb proof! Do a search for "home depot pullup bar".

Have fun!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Bryan Gollhofer

Profile:
Amazing that this subject came up. I also just found this guys store on Ebay and had a conversation with him about picking up a couple of Plyo-box's from him. I have to say the reason I didn't follow through is because the dude sounded completely whacked on the phone! Kept telling me he was gonna win the lottery and if he did he wouldn't be there when I went to pick them up... Hmm... oh well. Anyone have any knowledge of his box's? Love to hear if they are actually good.

Going out to buy Lottery ticket...
Old 02-24-2007, 10:52 PM   #7
Brody Dittemore

Profile:
Going the home depot pullup bar route would be great, except I'm in a rental and my workout room has a concrete ceiling. I'd be a little worried about sticking some masonry anchor bolts up in the ceiling.

Thus, if I can create my own anchor points, using a bar, with each end attached to a 2" x 6", which are then anchored into the wall studs, I think I can create a viable alternative.

But dang, if only I had some joists to work with I would have had a bar up months ago!

Brody.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:43 AM   #8
Ahmik Jones

Profile:
Getting one of the wall pull-up bars and mounting it over a door will allow you to swing through the door.

The ceiling in our garage has steel studs that would not take the weight, so we attached our home depot pull up bar to the wall right above the door and kipped like crazy.

Mounting something like this http://cgi.ebay.com/Chin-up-pull-up-wall-mounted-exercise-bar_W0QQitemZ320084881 014QQihZ011QQcategoryZ44081QQcmdZViewItem (Work Family Safe) would work well.
Old 02-25-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
Jeff Davis

Profile:
Bryan, I went and looked at his plyo boxes, I say go for it. Who cares if he's wierd, he's not the freakiest in L.A..

(Message edited by jdavis on February 25, 2007)
Old 02-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #10
Wil Rader

Profile:
I just bought one of his pullup bars... the finish is a little slippery but it's sturdy and looks good (not that looks mater.. but it does look good). I just spit in my hands and wipe them off on my pants before I use it and it works fine. 17 inches from the wall might not seem like a lot... but it's pretty easy to kip on if you just face out from the wall when doing it.