CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-03-2007, 06:35 PM   #1
Travis Loest

Profile:
I got my rings secured to my ceiling. Not enough room for muscle-ups but they're a long way off anyway. I'm able to do pull-ups with knees bent and dips on them. Why do I feel stupid excited about all of this?
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34940.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/34941.jpg
so it's a little crooked. I'll have to make sure I don't do that when I put up my pull up bar.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:16 PM   #2
Sam Michaud

Profile:
Travis,

Looks good. I know what you mean about being excited when the rings were first hung; I had the same euphoria when playing with mine for the first time.

Since you are dealing with a low ceiling, like I am, and consequently will have to frequently adjust the height to do pull-ups or dips, here is a quick tip: I keep a 3' carpenter's level handy and slip it through the handles after an adjustment to make sure they are level. It's more reliable than the TLAR system (That Looks About Right) and it only takes a second.

Have fun,
Sam
Old 01-03-2007, 08:51 PM   #3
Travis Loest

Profile:
Sam,
I was thinking about getting some webbing and having two or three sets of different lengths. One length for pull-ups, one for body rows, one for dips, one for push-ups, and color code/tag them so I don't have to worry about them. Until them I'll be using the TLAR system (funny btw), I've marked my straps at appropriate heights so I just cinch them up to a mark for whatever I'm doing. I just don't like all the extra strap hanging down.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
Jeff Dale

Profile:
I decided to buy 30 ft. of webbing and make one set for push-ups and one for dips/mu's. Makes for easier transitions.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Michael Leach

Profile:
how are you guys quickly going from one set of webbing to another?
Old 01-04-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Michael Manseau

Profile:
I have joists exposed in the garage; do they lose their strength if you drill into them & insert the webbing or would the screw in bike hook type affair work?
Old 01-04-2007, 04:13 PM   #7
Pierre Auge

Profile:
either way mike you should be fairly safe...
Old 01-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #8
Travis Loest

Profile:
Michael,
It would really depend on how much weight you are going to support from them. I'm about 245-250 pounds, I don't think drilling through them and then running webbing would be a good idea, you could just run the webbing around the joist. or build the same set-up I did with the board, just make it about 8-12 inches longer than the span between joists and you can set it up across the joists when you need it and take it down or move it if you need to. I cant take mine down without destroying my ceiling, thanks to the gorilla glue, but I wanted something permanent and it works for me
Old 01-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #9
Michael Leach

Profile:
i would either wrap the webbing over the trusses (easiest) or put an eye-bolt through them (along with a couple big washers on top and double-nut it).
Old 01-05-2007, 06:21 AM   #10
Michael Leach

Profile:
oh yeah, i dont trust those screw in bike hooks or anything that simply screws into the wood - not when im hanging upside down on it anyways. if you put an eye bolt clear through the truss and a couple big washers on top, as well as double-nut it, the eye bolt will be able to spin freely and its not going to come loose unless your truss failed. actually i did this exact setup, but i added an additional 2x4 on each side of the truss for a good 5' or so and used lag screws to tie them all together.