CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
Joseph Park

Profile:
Does anybody train with the Pendlay oly bar? I'm in the market for a new oly bar. The crappy standard bodybuilding bar finally broke on me after a set of cleans. (my apologies in advance if this is a repeat question of any sort)

http://bsolympicgym.com/proddetail.asp?prod=pendlay20kg

(Message edited by joeyyy7 on August 03, 2006)
Old 08-04-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Go here: http://store.wfwclub.com/bars.html

If you need more information, send Glenn an email, he will tell you more than any human needs to know about every IWF-spec bar on the market, and many that aren't. Also, search the message board; a couple of coaches chimed in with their experience.

Your inexpensive options for a good Oly bar seem to be reduced to the Gill (30mm shaft, not very "live" but should spin great), the Pendlay (built to IWF specs by a bunch of Pan-Am and Junior National oly champs, 28mm shaft, proper knurling), and the Chapman bar (if you clean > 225lbs and want to improve, you have to buck up for the Elite, at around $500). The York International might have been a good option once, but now it seems that a design flaw renders it questionable.

Personally I bought a Pendlay and will post up with my impressions when it arrives. I got sick of doing clean&jerks and snatches on a $50 bar that barely rotated. It's even worse if you've ever used a 'real' Oly bar -- I learned how to do the clean & jerk on old York olympic bars, put up my PR (245# at bwt of 175#) on a nice bar, and to use Glenn's analogy, switching to the crap bar was like switching from track spikes to flip-flops for a 100m dash. I just couldn't stand it anymore.

It's up to you how much you want to spend -- figure on about $150 for the Gill, $350 for the Pendlay, $550 for the Chapman, or $750 for a world-class Eleiko bar -- but you generally get what you pay for, and the bar is likely to be your most-used piece of equipment. (Only rivaled by a set of rings in usefulness) I believe both the Pendlay and Chapman bars carry lifetime guarantees, so this should be a one-time purchase.

Good luck and do check in with your decision.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #3
David Bennett

Profile:
Count me in as a satisfied customer of a Pendlay. I bought the 10KG Pendlay training bar as a present for my girlfriend and we both like using it for crossfit. I am saving up for the Pendlay men's bar now. I claim no expertise, but the Pendlay just feels better--knurling not so rough yet enough for a good grip, rotation is smooth-- than my other bar, a Play It Again used sports equipment special. Besides, I spoke with Glenn on the phone and he was very patient and helpful in explaining what one should look for in a good bar.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Matt Shatzkin

Profile:
I am certainly no expert, but I just bought the Pendalay bar and like it a lot. Got mine from Scott at BS Olympic, he gave me a CrossFit discount and certainly knows a lot about the bar's capabilities.

Old 08-05-2006, 09:32 AM   #5
Joseph Park

Profile:
Thanks guys. Thanks Tim. Your opinions really helped. I'm leaning toward the Pendlay oly. Now I just have to get the wife to sign off on it. And Tim, you are so right. I used my friend's Elieko bar and it was like night and day (or go-fasters and flip flops). I'll hit up Scott and let you guys know. Thanks again gents.