CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-26-2006, 02:14 PM   #1
Jason Smith

Profile:
I am getting ready to purchase an Eleiko training bar and want to get rubber plates. Ironmind only lists bumper plates for the Eleiko bar.

Any suggestions on exactly which rubber plates will work with this bar?

Thanks,
Jason
Old 07-26-2006, 02:26 PM   #2
John Seiler

Profile:
Jason,

I believe Ironmind sells rubber York plates and that they'll fit. See if they'll make you a deal. Otherwise, search the boards. There are some great deals to be had. The Rubberman, BS Olympic, and Alison Foreman from York come to mind.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Jason Smith

Profile:
Thanks John. I have seen some of those mentioned, but wasn't sure if they would fit the bar or not.

One other question: Is the Eleiko bar any better than the Chapman Bar?

By the way, did you make through the storms in STL last week without losing your power or severe damage? We still know lots of people there and they sounded horrible.

Jason
Old 07-26-2006, 05:22 PM   #4
Joseph Hart

Profile:
Jason,
Eleiko is the primo oly bar. Chapmans are an excellent bar from what I have heard. Might want to buy the Chapman, save a few bucks, and buy more bumpers. I envy you in a good way:happy:.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
Jason Steele

Profile:
I wish I had the task of deciding between Chapman and Eleiko!
Old 07-26-2006, 05:42 PM   #6
Clay Jones

Profile:

There are two Eleiko bars available from IronMind--training and competition. I think the Eleiko training is similar/equal to the Chapman--If I remember correctly someone on the board (Lincoln?) sold their Chapman and bought the Eleiko competition bar and felt it was a step up. Of course, the comp bar is over $700 . . . . the exra dough will pay for your plates.

Any good quality rubber plates should work--York, Chapman, Kraiburgs--they all have the standard sleeve that fits a 50 mm oly bar. Paltes can be gotten for far cheaper than what IronMind sells the Yorks for.

The Chapman is an awesome bar--My .02.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:58 PM   #7
George Deihs

Profile:  
Excuse my ignorance, but what's the difference between a rubber and bumper plate?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:29 PM   #8
Clay Jones

Profile:

Both are "bumper" plates-- that is, plates that are designed to be dropped (when attached to a bar) once an olympic lift (snatch, C&J) is completed.

Rubber bumpers are made from either recycled or virgin rubber--Plates made by Chapman, Kraiburg, and York fall into this category. there are other brands as well. These are generally not too expensive, but more expensive than plain cast iron plates (the type you find in your average fitness facility).

The second type are composite plates--they have a iron core and are encased in rubber--this allows for a much more compact plate design (which matters when you are setting an Olympic record). Plates made by Eleiko, Usesaka, Mavrik, and others fall into this category. The Eleiko training bumpers that IronMind sells are of this type.

Also note that not all rubber encased plates are bumper plates--the rubber plates that you see in most Fitness-Mart gyms are definitely not bumper plates . .

See this thread for more info:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/4711.html

Hope this helps. . . . I'll post some pix if I can find them.

This really needs to be a FAQ, or a Wiki . . .
Old 07-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #9
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
We have the Eleiko training bar and RB Rubber bumpers and they fit like a glove.
Kurtis Bowler
Rainier CrossFit
Old 07-26-2006, 06:42 PM   #10
Clay Jones

Profile:

Here are some pictures of bumper plates (with world class athletes that lifted more at age 12 than I will ever lift*)

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/27794.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/27795.jpghttp://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/27796.jpg

Here are the Kraiburgs (all solid rubber disks will look the same)

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/27797.jpg

One other thing-- Hampton and Leoko made a set of iron plates with a rubber ring. . .I have heard nothing but bad new about the Hamptons.

* Somewhere in soviet Russia, a 12 year old girl is warming up with your P.R.