CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-06-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
Reed Rediger

Profile:
I'm looking at BFS for bumpers. There are black solid rubber bumpers, and colored solid rubber bumpers. The colored have fewer weights available, but are a little cheaper. So have a couple questions...

Q: Are they interchangeable (mix black with colored or vise-versa)?

Q: Is there a difference in quality?

I'm thinking about buying a pair of all the colored and using regular weights for the smaller weights (10,5,2.5 lbs). Any help wood be great!!!
Old 07-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Look again, the colored bumpers cost MORE. Otherwise they look the same in quality.

I like colored bumpers and plates; they reduce the number of misloads and they look better.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #3
Allison Foreman

Profile:
The colors are an international competition certification designation for bumper plates in kilograms, not lbs. Red is for 25kg plates, blue for 20kg plates, yellow is for 15kg plates, green is 10kg plates, and white is for 5kg plates. Since BFS's plates are in lbs,not kg, the colors are for, well, color. The only reason the colored plates seem cheaper is that you are missing plates. First, decide whether you are interested in plates in kg or lbs, then buy only the plates you want. It is not necessary to buy in sets only. If your start weight is a 25lb plate, you must have the strength and skill do perform your Olympic movements and all bumper-needing exercises with a minimum of 95 lbs. Could be a challenge, or then again, you could be a beast! Then, shop around - I can offer Crossfitters solid rubber training plates in 10/25/35/45lbs pairs for under $400 + freight. 10/15/20/25kg sets for $504 for Crossfit. Elite Competition and Bumper Grip plates also avail. All sold individually. E-me if you have an interest. Allison Foreman, York Barbell
Old 07-06-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Reed Rediger

Profile:
My mistake!!! I didn't look close enough.
Old 07-06-2006, 12:58 PM   #5
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
Consider getting rubber bumpers from Hi-Temp or York and spray-painting the outside edges. They're $0.92/lb and the spray-paint technique seems to work fine for guys like Burgener and Pendlay.

$400 + freight is not bad, by the way. Bouncy rubber composition plates are excellent values.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:05 PM   #6
Jerry Walker

Profile:
Anyone have any oppinions on how the york like allison is quoting or the hi-temp compare to the kraiburg like the rubber man sells?

http://www.therubberman.com/WeightPlates.asp
Old 07-07-2006, 04:35 AM   #7
Joseph Hart

Profile:
I think from what I have read on the board Kraigburgs are okay. You can see a few lurking in pictures at CF HQ. I am planning on getting some. The rubberman seems to be the best price for Kraigburgs that I could find.
Old 07-07-2006, 08:22 AM   #8
Joseph A. Caldwell

Profile:
Joe, thanks for the recommendation. Crossfitters get 10% off of therubberman's list price. All shipping is from our KY location. We have plenty of inventory for immediate shipping.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #9
Clay Jones

Profile:

The Kraiburgs are great plates--mine get a lot of use and are holding up very well.