CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #1
Kevin Scott

Profile:
Once the difference between the bumper plates on gill athletics and the rubber encased weights at sears. I haven't seen bumper plates before except the solid rubber Kraiburg Rubber Bumper Plates that are at my school. I want to get a pair of bumpers and just want to know what the best are for the best price. The Kraiburg plates are pretty nice because the solid rubber doesn't cause damage to floors and the prices aren't bad but the gill plates are cheaper.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:55 PM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I haven't had any experience with bumpers except for the hamptons/powermax ones at my school, but I think it's decided here that the gills are the cheapest good bumpers to get, unless you can find a good temporary deal somewhere. Use the search button and you'll find lots of recent threads about bumpers.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:04 AM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/23264.html
Old 05-11-2006, 04:55 PM   #4
Clay Jones

Profile:

Not sure if I am reading your question correctly, but the plates you see at Sears are not bumpers.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:24 AM   #5
Allison Foreman

Profile:
Bumper plates and rubber encased Olympic plates are two different animals. Bumpers are designed to bounce - Sears doesn't carry them. What you're probably looking at are rubber encased Olympic plates - a Olympic plate has a 2" diameter hole, as opposed to a standard plate with a 1" diameter, and most manufacturers have a rubber encased variety. Core will be steel composite(better)or concrete (cheap ones). Plate diameters will differ. NOT designed for Olympic lifts. Will be happy to price out York Barbell solid rubber training bumpers in lbs or kg, Elite competition plates and microloading iron plates (kg only) or bumper grip plates if you have an interest. Great needle bearing Olympic training bars as well. Large discounts for Crossfit. E-me if you have an interest.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:15 PM   #6
Kevin Scott

Profile:
guess I'm just trying to understand. I looked at gill athletics and read the bumpers have steel inside so i assumed they were like the sears olympic size plates that were rubber encased. How much do you charge for a 300 lbs bumper set with a bar and without a bar. I've only used complete rubber plates at my school called kraiburg. How do these differ from others.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:33 AM   #7
Paul Findley

Profile:
Kevin,

There are a few active threads with bumper prices in them, including from the guys that make Kraiburgs.

I found there are a few classes of bumpers.

Hi-temp seems to have the lowest price point.
Chapmans are low-mid range in price.
These two are fashioned from recycled rubber.

Kraiburg, York, BFS, and others seem to be similarly constructed from virgin rubber, they have a smooth look to them. They are all mid ranged in price.

You will also see VTX which I heard split at the seam.

Hampton's and knockoffs which are steel with a rubber outer band. I heard mixed reviews on these type, from they are great to the paint chips off.

Then you start breaking the bank with the highest quality and "certified/calibrated" class of bumpers, you can spot these as they have brass inserts used to balance/calibrate the weight.

They are all going to have some iron in them.

Pay attention to shipping charges.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
Kevin Scott

Profile:
Has anyone used both bfs bumpers and kraiburg. Which do you like better? I think i've narrowed my choice between the two brands.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:53 PM   #9
Karl Geissler

Profile:
Gill Athletics (PowerMax) has two styles of bumpers:
1. Solid Rubber with a steel plate in the center for mounting, which are done in kilograms. More like a traditional Olympic plate. http://www.gillathletics.com/gillItem.aspx?search=WT28
2. We also have the double iron encased bumpers with the 2" rubber rims. These are done in English, and make for a pretty good teaching/training plate. http://www.gillathletics.com/gillCat...px?subItem=538
Personally, we have had the encased bumper plates in the corporate room for years (at least six), and have not had any problems. I learned how to Olympic lift with those plates, dumped numerous times, and they just take the abuse.
This is my two cents though....
Old 05-21-2006, 07:41 PM   #10
Kevin Scott

Profile:
Karl those are really good prices. Which would you say is better out of the two. The solid rubber or the encased. Which will give better protection to the bar and floor out of the two.