CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-25-2006, 10:19 AM   #1
Chris Jordan

Profile:
I've been using ziploc bags filled with 5#'s of sand to fill my sandbag. This weekend we managed to rupture all but two of my ziploc bags throwing the 100# bag around.

I'm looking for a better way.

Not to be too extreme, I was thinking of locating some retired fire hose, cutting it into 1' lengths, melting/sewing one end closed, filling it with sand then melting the other end. That should make a durable pack. I just don't know where I can come up with a sufficient quantity of retired fire hose.

Any other ideas?
Old 04-25-2006, 10:27 AM   #2
Paul Findley

Profile:
I noticed these the other day whilst surfing (scroll down):

http://sandbagexercises.ifsstrength.com/products.html

Pickup up some ripstop nylon and break out the Singer...or just buy them.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:33 AM   #3
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Did you double or triple pack your bags? Are your bags just regular store bought bags? Those things are way too thin for just one.

Have you looked at thicker bags? I would go for 6 mil thickness just be safe. http://www.royalbag.com/6_mil_clear_zip_lock_bags.asp

With 6 mil you won't need to double or triple bag.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:13 PM   #4
Dennis Yiatras

Profile:

I doubled mine. I dont know how it would last tossing it around though. I also wrapped it in a garbage bag 50# in each. I went for 10 # each zip lock bag. Works great for inman walking, cleaning and squatting..
Old 04-25-2006, 12:46 PM   #5
Nathan Stanley

Profile:
I've done the following:
a)Pea gravel in ziplock bags then covered in duct tape
b)Pea gravel in the 40 lbs sacks they come in wrapped in two contractor garbage bags and taped w/ duct tape.
c)One of those sandbags for the back of your truck in the winter (70 lbs) wrapped in two contractor garbage bags then reinforced w/ tape.

Had no problems w/ any of those methods. Also, Ross Enamait has a how to article on his site. The best article I've read is one Zach Even-Esh wrote. He has a pay site, but tons of great articles.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:14 PM   #6
Jason Billows

Profile:
Inner tubes. Use motorcycle inner tubes for smaller weights and car inner tubes for heavier weights. Cut the tube, fill it with sand, double over the ends and glue with contact cement before wrapping in duct tape.

This could become costly for multiple smaller weights so it would probably be best to make them in 25lb increments or more.

I think you'd be hard pressed to break an inner tube. Actually, you could probably use the inner tube alone if you wanted to do some work with smaller weights and just combine them together in your duffle bag/sandbag for heavier workouts.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
Roger Smith

Profile:
I use heavy contractors bags and/or real sandbags (like they use to block water/bullets). contractor bags at menards, sandbags at mcmaster.com

I also have experimented with packing them LOOSE. That way when you drop it there is some give in the bag, ie the sand can move around and hopefully not burst the bag. WHen packed tight, something has to give..So far it seems to work.

I've had mixed luck with pea gravel. Initially it seemsed to work great, but over time a white powder was ground off and was so thin it went threw the canvas when dropped and was a MESS...

I've heard of using chain, if you can find it cheap like a junkyard. Fire hose as mentioned above might work good, if you can find. I've also heard of using innertubes.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:37 PM   #8
David Sailor

Profile:
So far I've had good luck triple bagging with contractor garbage bags. The learning curve was a pain, though. I have the K2 bag which I really like.
The first time around, I put 100lb of pea gravel in the bags before putting it into the sandbag but no way was it going to fit. I really wanted a 100# bag so I redid the packaging into two 50lb bags. Again, no way. Finally, I put 3 contractor bags inside of each other, put the empty bags into the sandbag, then filled with gravel. I only rolled the bags over several times and squeezed some duct tape in to keep it closed. I really don't want the fine sand floating around making a mess or worse, breathing it in. I've used the bag like this for a few months now with no problems.

David
Old 04-26-2006, 12:47 AM   #9
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
What I do:

- pack the bags loosely (very important!)
- use lots of duct tape
- wrap the bags into multiple garbage bags (I use 3 additional layers) and secure with normal package tape

This works perfectly for me. The multiple layers give you much more protection from spill than any additional duct tape you tape on after a breakage. For bigger weights (like a 25kg bag), I just wrap the existing package as bought into 3 layers of garbage bags.

Cheers,

Christian