CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-14-2006, 01:31 PM   #1
Scott Edgins

Profile:
i am wanting to buy an olympic bar and some bumper plates. i have decided to go with gill for the bumpers. however i have seen olympic bars from play it again sports to walmart and they all look the same. do i really need to pay the extra money for the bar?
Old 04-14-2006, 02:15 PM   #2
Josh Brehm

Profile:
To add on to this question, I have a new bar that I purchased from play it again sports, a nicer bar than a walmart/sears weight set bar. Its the same type I used at my schools gym and use the hamton/powermax bumper plates (the ones that are metal with rubber rims)with them, will the sleeves be too large to fit the gill solid bumper plates? I remember there being talk about how some people couldn't get certain bumpers on their cheaper bars.
Old 04-14-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
Dave Campbell

Profile:
Scott - I just got a set of 10k and a set of 20k bumpers from Gill. I also purchased the bar from Gill. The bars at my gym "move"; the Gill bar "spins". There does appear to be a difference. I would imagine you could get away with a cheap bar for a while, though. You could always use that bar later for DL, squats, etc. I'm looking to buy one of those $100 300 lb. Olympic sets from the big sporting goods chain just for those exercises.
Old 04-14-2006, 06:31 PM   #4
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
Scott, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and just say it like I see it:

Save up and get a Chapman Elite from:

http://www.chapmanpower.com

Is it expensive compared to Play it Again, Wal-Mart or Bigger, Faster, Stronger? Yes.

Is it better than those bars? Again, a resounding yes. It is the single best bar on the planet, IMHO.

Does the bar make that much of a difference? Again, a chorus screams "Yes."

I bought a BFS Super Bar a while back. It's a good enough bar - you can do all the WODs with it and train the Olympic Lifts. I mainly needed something to work with and I was new to Olympic lifting, just getting started with CF, and had come from the world of preacher curls at a big, commercial gym. So I had a lot to learn. I wish I had saved the $160 I spent on that bar and applied it to the Chapman. The knurling on the BFS was so "agressive" I had to tape the bar up to use it because it felt like I was holding a cheese grater. The spin isn't so great. The bar makes a lot of noise when I drop it. It's really not a lot of fun to use. I mainly use it as a back-up and to do front and back squats.

The Chapman bar is a thing of beauty and a triumph of engineering and craftsmanship. Chapman is an artist with his bars. His bar feels great in your hand, spin fantastically and is a joy to lift with. It will last a lifetime and Mike Chapman gives you great, personal service.

Since you are getting serious with the bumpers, I'd say, stay serious with the bar. Think about it as a lifetime investment and you will be happy you got the best.

I don't know what your budget is, but I just want to level with you on the scattershot nature of other bars. You get what you pay for and if you cheap-out on the bar, you'll regret it eventually (like I did).

(Message edited by Surly_Bird on April 14, 2006)
Old 04-17-2006, 10:36 AM   #5
Nathan Stanley

Profile:
I just purchased one off of craigslist.com for $40. I'd really like to splurge and go for a top of the line bar etc, but convincing my wife of the difference is the key. The bar is very nice by the way. Not a cheapo one, just older.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:04 PM   #6
Parker Gates

Profile:
I just got back from Play It Again where I bought my 1st bar for $39. A deal that can't be beat considering this bar will stay outdoors for a while.
So do we know if Gill's bumpers will fit? That was my next stop.