CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-19-2006, 07:38 AM   #1
Dan Catlin

Profile:  
I know this subject comes up regularly, but I haven't heard a review yet on the quality of the BFS glute ham bench. I've read that the Yukon/ NYBarbells is cheap and OK. I'm a big boy (250+) and don't want to be replacing it if it's too wobbly. BFS is $500 plus shipping ($650?). Elite wants like $830 including shipping ($980 for deluxe). Sorinex is (I guess) the grail at $1090. My question is, there is always a "sweet spot" in pricing, where you get enough and start paying for luxury. I don't have a grand for this one piece of equipment. If BFS is solid and will outlast/outperform the Yukon, I might be able to scrounge the extra bucks, but if it is closer in quality to the Yukon, I'd rather just go for Yukon and hope it holds up or save up for Elite. Anyone have thoughts, especially on the BFS? Also, Elite makes a big deal about the angle of the pad on their machine. Anyone tried it and think it's true? (It seems that crossfit mostly uses the GHD for ab work, but I will also do the GH raises.) Thanks.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
David Sailor

Profile:
I'll preface by saying I don't have a GHD but am in the market for one. I'm struggling with the same price point that you are, Dan and had made the tentative decision to get one from NYBarbells. I was up late last night reading old posts and now am leaning towards the Promaxima because of Eugene's comments and pictures from this thread:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/11602.html

I don't know the price of the unit but am guessing it's on the lower end of say the Yukon/NYBarbell but seems to be of very good quality. The shipping will likely be over $100 given it's weight (150lbs) and size but I'm ok with that if the total is around $500 or less.

I really like the design of it and the constuction seems high. I reserve the right to change my mind until the credit card order is placed but so far, this seems to be one!

David
Old 03-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #3
Lisa Ray

Profile:
Eugene, could you give us the website you got your ProMaxima from? I Googled ProMaxima GHD, got the CrossFit archived threads and then a cellulite site, but no sales. Your GHD looks more solid than the Yukon, and from the sounds of it from previous threads, it must be cheaper than the BFS, Elite, and Sorinex pieces.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:25 PM   #4
David Sailor

Profile:
Here it is:

http://www.promaximamfg.com/Main.aspx

Old 03-19-2006, 08:58 PM   #5
John Seiler

Profile:
Dan,
Westside Barbell has one for $925. You mentioned your size being an issue. Obviously, they've got some big, strong dudes using that model. A bit pricey though. BTW, Louie seems like a really cool guy. I called up there at about 5:15 to ask some questions about the Reverse-Hyper. After chatting with the guy who answered the phone for a few minutes, he commented, "Yeah, that's why I designed it that way." It was Louie! There I was chatting about a machine with the best powerlifting coach in the world! Very nice, patient, and unassuming.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:39 PM   #6
Ryan Heck

Profile:
Here's why I bought the Yukon and why I am very happy with it.

I looked at the Promaxima stuff, the base price differences I could have dealt with, but shipping costs are almost as much as the GHD costs - it ships crated up completely built and on a truck (not Fedex/UPS) and it cost more if you house doesn't have a loading dock (mine doesn't).
My Yukon cost $199 shipped. Sometimes you can find it cheaper on Ebay if you search for Yukon and Hyperextension or Roman.
My Yukon is perfect for my home gym for personal use. It is bomber, again for HOME use. It would get beat up in use commercial but six months of use and it is great.
I used the NYBarbell one at a gym in town and found it to be a royal piece of junk (again probably would be great if used as home gym equipment). The Yukon adjusts MUCH easier than the NYBarbell, making it a breeze to go from GHR to situps.
The Yukon can be modified if you are unhappy with it. A few website have talked about welding diamond plate over the foot rests to make them bigger and repadding the cushion if you want it bigger. But I have had no trouble with it stock out of the box. That's about all I have to say 'bout that (in your best Forest Gump impression).
Old 03-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
Elliot Royce

Profile:
I've got the Yukon and I weigh 225lbs. Seems pretty solid to me.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:16 PM   #8
Paul Findley

Profile:
The TDS (A.K.A.NY Barbell) Made in China, for the trade deficit conscious.

Either my floor is warped or it is. Its on a slab of concrete :-) I can see where the rust was not sandblasted. The welds look bad, but are functionally ok. The split pad in nice, but minimalist.

I have no desire to mod it. I got what I paid for $289 delivered, that works for me. I may duct tape the foot rollers, they are plain uncovered urethane foam. I have a chunk of left over rubber mat under one of the feet, it is solid now. Adjust is not too bad, but I have never touched a Yukon to compare.

(Message edited by paul on March 20, 2006)
Old 03-23-2006, 08:14 AM   #9
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
I want to hear from someone who has used the Elite GHD and the cheaper ones for a comparison. I have a rigged up GHD connected to the wall but it is inconvenient and doesn't get used much as a result.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
Misael Lopez

Profile:
I have the Elite GHD and will qualify my statement by saying that I weigh in at a hefty 155 lbs.

I can jump up and down on the thing and it doesn't budge. The pad is not split and can impact the man gland area, but sliding the foot rest to be sure your friends are clear of the pad when you're all the way down is a simple exercise. The pad is kinda hard to begin with, once you break it in it's not so bad, or maybe it's just you build up some tolerance.

In my opinion it's very similar in stability to the best roman chair/hyper/GHD machines you find at commercial gyms. There might be better (i.e., Sorinex) but how much more solid does it need to be? I amused one salesman at a local equipment sales place by coming in at regular intervals to play on the less high-end GHDs they had. I could feel movement when I was doing various exercises, may have been irregularities in the flooring, maybe not.

Either way, I love the piece and don't give it a second thought as I throw my body around with it. As a result it is the most used piece of equipment behind #1 rings and #2 pull-up bar. I don't regret the purchase, but that being said, maybe it wasn't necessary to pay that much. Elliot seems happy with the Yukon and at 225 lb is giving his equipment a bigger workout than I am.

If you're not happy with what you have, then get something that you'll use. Find a fitness equipment store and then use the experimental method: play with a few and see what happens.