CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-30-2005, 03:27 PM   #1
Jim Biancolo

Profile:
I just rigged up a home-made GHD out of a Swiss Ball and some threaded-pipe "T" attachments for my basement door. Jury is still out, but I'm only semi-happy with it. Thought the pros and cons of this setup might be of interest to any Crossfitters contemplating trying something similar:

http://www.leanandhungryfitness.com/...ntent_id.21308
Old 11-30-2005, 07:02 PM   #2
Jesse Woody

Profile:
That is totally awesome! Too bad my swiss ball got popped by my kids...I'll figure something out...Thanks! :D

(Message edited by gear on November 30, 2005)
Old 11-30-2005, 07:53 PM   #3
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
Looks perfect for hyperextensions and GHD situp. To improve the GH situp function, have you considered replacing the swiss ball with some padded platform, like a pad on top of a jumping box?
Old 11-30-2005, 08:23 PM   #4
Jim Biancolo

Profile:
Ben,

Yeah, that's probably a good idea. The only thing that concerns me (never having used a real GHD before) is that it seems from looking at pictures that in the absolute uppermost position of the GHR you are basically kneeling in space. There is nothing underneath your knees, and the only thing that keeps you from crashing to the floor is the significant pressure of your thighs pushing against the rounded pad. It looks like the force of your body pushes down and away. It's the "away" part that is a problem on the ball, and I'm thinking would also be a problem on any moveable platform that weren't anchored securely. My floor is cement, so putting anchors into it would be a big chore, but perhaps I could rig something to anchor the platform (whatever form it may take) to the same door the ankle supports are on. For that matter, perhaps a strap that connects to my door and loops around the ball would help with the "pushing away problem."

Of course, that's just my read on the issues from looking at pictures, and I happily defer to anyone who's actually done a proper GHR.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-01-2005, 03:07 PM   #5
Jim Biancolo

Profile:
Oh, just realized you were talking about improving the GH situp rather than the GH raise. The Swiss Ball actually works great for the situp. You can arch pretty far back over the ball.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #6
Brian Sullivan

Profile:
Jim - Thanks for the info. I've been trying to figure out something for GH situps for my basement.
Old 12-04-2005, 09:29 AM   #7
Neal Winkler

Profile:
I made a homemade GHD as well.

Basically, all I did was take an extra punching bag that I had, which was a small 40lber. You put the punching bag perpendicular on top of your parallettes. Then, I put the adjustable pin in my squat rack such that when I am sitting on top of the punching bag, I can extend my legs out and my ankles will under the pin. Then I just lean back and do my sit ups.

It looks exacltly like Ryan Atkins setup from this page http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/4355.html

Only instead of the swiss ball accross the parellettes, I have a punching bag. The punching bag allows you to get your butt off the bag unlike the swiss ball and nothing will be under the back of your knees. So far as I can tell, the set up I made perfectly simulates a real ghd machine.
Old 12-04-2005, 04:42 PM   #8
Nikki Young

Profile:
Neal, do you have any pics of your GHD set-up??

Do you have the boxing bag on something to have it raised a bit higher? Or is it just on the ground?

Whats a recomended height to have the ankle support, for a safe home made one, which will allow for a full ROM. Obviously depense on the persons height, but would standing hip height be pretty accurate?
Old 12-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #9
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Nikki,

The boxing bag is sitting on top of my parrelettes for added height.

I just stood next to my set-up and the ankle support was a little below my hip, and the whole setup allows me to go back fairly far. I do however, have to be a little careful of hitting my head.

I upload the pics tomorrow.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:44 AM   #10
Neal Winkler

Profile:
Here ya go.

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/16744.jpg