CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-26-2005, 11:10 AM   #1
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
Last weekend I built an 8x8 lifting platform and I am selling my power rack. Now I need to get a pair of squat stands. Here is what I am looking at from lowest to highest cost....

http://newyorkbarbells.tv/93132.html

http://www.power-systems.com/Nav/CloseUp.aspx?ssc=88&sc=83&c=17&g=1452&Src=Froog le#

http://www.promaximamfg.com/real/html/FW/FW-7.htm

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...sp?number=1217

Most of these have been mentioned before but I just wanted to see if anyone who has actually purchased one of these products has an opinion. I like the idea of the self stand (not connected) stands for portability but are they stable enough? I rarely bench but if I do I expect to be able to pull up my flat bench and get the bar off the rack. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:20 PM   #2
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I've haven't purchased one, but used ones similar for years. They're very portable and if you've got a good quality stand, they're very stable. Not sure if it would adjust low enough for Benchpress, though, but I'm a shorty.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:24 PM   #3
Michael Nobori

Profile:
I have the NY Barbells squat rack. It seems to work fine for bench pressing. A friend of mine put close to 300# on there for a bp and it was no problem. I've mostly used it for racking lighter weight lifts like hang cleans so I don't have to clean from floor every time. Haven't used it as an actual squat rack. Honestly, it doesn't seem like the most overbuilt piece of equipment, but it works good enough so far and the price is right. I also bought their bumper plate holder which I am also happy with. NY Barbell ships very promptly in my experience and it's free!
Old 07-26-2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
Out of all of those I like the Ironmind racks the best. I have used those before and they are very stable, but still quite portable. The other nice thing is you can still adjust the width. This allows you to move them closer and take a snatch grip right from the rack for exercises like snatch balances etc.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:26 PM   #5
Gabe Rinaldi

Profile:
...oh, I fogot to mention that I've also used stands that are seperated and they are a lot less stable. It is still doable, but when you rack a heavy weight (or when your uncontrollable clients rack heavy weights), then they become wobbly. If I was outfitting a gym now, then I would definitely spend the extra money for the Ironmind racks.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:47 AM   #6
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
Thats exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks. The Ironmind racks always get good reviews.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:51 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Bradshaw Welding makes an excellent portable squat rack, nearly identical to IronMind. I've had mine for a few years and I'm ordering more. For an extra $15, you can have Jeff from BW add a tab for racking bench presses. (I have them on mine and use them for racking shrugs and lifts from the hang.) Team Sacramento has several BW squat racks as well, if I recall.
http://www.bwproducts.com/fitness/eq...acks/index.htm
Old 07-27-2005, 09:46 AM   #8
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
Thanks Lincoln, I will contact them. Thanks to Craigslist, I may already have a buyer for my old full rack which didn't fit with my new platform.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:49 AM   #9
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:  
I own the Ironmind rack and like it alot. It lowers for bench press and comes apart for easy storage. The optional dip bars you can order with it can be adjusted to any width. Very cool.