CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-06-2005, 04:01 PM   #1
Paul Peterson

Profile:  
I am looking for recommendations on which one to buy. Thank you
Old 07-06-2005, 09:45 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Go to www.promaximamfg.com. They have a Linear Bearing Abdominal & Back Extension device #PL-41 for $495 and it has a very nice bearing adjustment slide for the foot brace. The $260 model is the FW-40 and they call that one the Glute and Ham Developer though it is different from the other only ease with which the foot brace slides for adjustment. I like GHD from these very much as it is very solid and secure feeling and even comfortable during use.

eug
Old 07-25-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Eugene,

How is Promaxima for other stuff?? I've got one of their catalogs and it seems like good stuff, but what do I know, I only sell military and police gear. :-)

Everyone raves about BFS, but their prices seem much higher on comparable (in the catalog) equipment like bumper plates, squat racks, etc.

Thanks for any input you might be able to provide,

TimW
Phoenix
Old 07-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
dave ojeda

Profile:
I am eyeing the home model from Elite Fitness.
http://www.elitefts.com/
The main reasons are portability, I like that it can be broken down, Cost, a good price when shipping is factored in, and design/shape of pad, I use the pro model from elite fitness at my gym.

I talked to Lynne who has had one from since x-mas and she loves it and say it is rock solid.

I think Ryan has one from new york barbell, don't remeber what he thought of it, maybe he will chime in.

Just my thougths, good luck with whatever you decide.

Dave

Old 07-25-2005, 10:22 AM   #5
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Tim - If you want bars, call BFS right now and order some. They are having a sale and you just can't have enough ammo, bars or bumpers. Right now you can do something about the bar part of that equation. I have two bars that came with the Olympic weight sets I bought. Those bars absolutely suck and will be used only for squats and deadlifts as soon as my new bars arrive. The inner collars now unscrew from the end of the bar where the weight plates go after just a couple years of use.

I also have a hex bar with the raised handles from BFS. Great bar for deadlifts, it puts you in a perfect position for the movement and you won't scar up your shins.

My favorite bar is the Alumalite bar I got from BFS (15 pounds) so I ordered another of those. The knurling is perfect and it spins very smoothly and easily. I also ordered the Ultralite bar that is a 30 pounder and is on sale for only $69. The third bar I ordered was the Super Bar which is black and was $119...maybe $129 on sale. They have not shown up yet so I can't let you know what I think of them.

As to Promaxima stuff...if their Glute/Ham device is any indication of the quality of their equipment, I wouldn't hesitate buy again from them. Very solid and well finished and I'll bet it's not an anomoly.

Check out Sorinex as well. They have sale stuff that brings their sky high prices down a bit so that what you are looking at is affordable. Consider Ebay too, you might get lucky there and find what you are looking for.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:34 AM   #6
dave ojeda

Profile:
Just doing a quick search and came across this Glute ham guide by BFS

http://biggerfasterstronger.com/uplo...Ham%20Book.pdf

Haven't read the whole thing but the price is right.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I gotta say that I wish I would have went with the Sorinex or the EliteFTS GHR, rather than have it built locally. The pad is all wrong, and I've had to modify it quite a bit.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
Edward D. Friedman

Profile:
Dave O.,

Hi,

I'm the guy that e-mailed you about the "poor man's GH" and never thanked you for your reply. Thank you.

I'm curious, why are looking at getting a GH Raise apparatus ?

Best,

Eddie
Old 07-25-2005, 02:13 PM   #9
dave ojeda

Profile:
Hey Eddie!!

I am just thinking about it and if the money is there why not get another toy. I might be eyeing it for awhile given the current budget.

I use the pro model from Elite at the gym and love it, also you can do the sit-ups on there. Just started them recently.

I wish you lived closer Eddie in case I do sell my poor man's GH, it is rock solid.

BTW check out that the guide I posted a link to on this thread. I am reading through it and it has a lot of great info on it.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:54 PM   #10
James Falkner

Profile:
I'll tell you what, that is my favorite piece of equipment right now - Thanks to Mike Minium for introducing me to it at CFHQ several months back (Mike I'm still working the program you designed, will get back to you soon). Anyway, I thought my abs were in decent shape, I could crank out sets of 50 crunches all day. Mike put me on the GHD and I did I think 20-30 reps of the type of situp where you reach behind you and touch the ground, then explosively drive upwards and touch the ankle pad, alternating hands. Anyway, after 30 reps of that, I really felt "funny" in my entire core area. For the next week I had serious difficulty getting out of my car or getting up from any sitting or flat-on-my-back position of any kind. I knew I had to have one of those for my own.

I got the one from newyorkbarbells.com for $280 or so - a nice piece of equipment, not as fancy as the Sorinex (sp?) but its pretty close, a nice big double pad (leaves room for your.. ahem.. "boys"). For the money, its a great machine both for the CF warmup and for general trunk development (see the link to the BFS article above this post). I highly recommend it. Of course, its great for developing the glutes and hams too ;-)