CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-11-2004, 02:37 PM   #1
Ben Jackson

Profile:
I'd like to add a few bumper plates to my weight set, but I'm cheap. I've priced some and even "off brands" are still expensive to me. Where have you found the cheapest bumper plates and how much were they?

Ben
Old 08-11-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
Matt McManmon

Profile:

Check this site out, its the lowest prices i've come by so far.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/usa-2445.html

A good way to save money is to just get some 45's and 25'5 then use normal weights if you need to go higher or be more exact. aslong as the larger weights are bumpers then you can drop them without doing damage to the floor.

Btw the 25's are the same size as the 45's just not as thick.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
Scott Tully

Profile:
At B-S Weightlifting Equipment I give crossfit members a discount, 25 lb bumpers are 40.00 per bumper, 35lb are 51.00 a piece, and 45lb are 61.00 per bumper.

www.bsolympicgym.com
Old 08-12-2004, 10:52 AM   #4
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hey Scott,
That's great! Any deals on 10's for us miniature folk?
Thanks,
Old 08-13-2004, 08:51 AM   #5
Kevin Anderson

Profile:
Scott, how about a bar to go with those RB Rubber plates? What do you recommend? I have a cheap one and it doesn't spin very good at all.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:07 PM   #6
Scott Tully

Profile:
The only 10lb bumpers I have are York ones and they are 27.50 a peice, so NY is a little cheaper on those, Im working on getting a economy one produce, that I can sell a little cheaper. As far as bars I can do the Chapman elite bar for 430$ shipping included anywhere in the continental 48, or the York training bar for 370$ shipping included. THe company that make the BFS Pro Elite bar is actaully right here in Kansas, Im working with them right now on pricing.

Scott
Old 08-13-2004, 02:33 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Scott,
Once upon a time, some years ago, I bought a pair of York 10 lb. bumpers at some fair expense direct from York. When I received them, they were not 450mm diameter bumpers like the picture, but instead were these fat little stumpy blobs. Fairly useless for learning the Olympic lifts since they were only about 10" in diameter and took up most of the sleeve. The bar would sit practically on the ground. I ended returning them, at considerable shipping cost. So, what size are the York 10 lb. bumpers? Are they still stumpy blobs? I have to say I'd discourage anyone from purchasing them.

Lynne,
A couple of places sell 5 lb. training bumpers made out of nylon. They work very well, same 450mm diameter as regular bumpers. If Scott doesn't have anything like that, let me know.

Kevin,
The Chapman Elite bar that Scott sells is top-notch. Probably worth the extra $60 over the York training bar, since the steel used in the Elite is the same T-14 used in most competition bars and it has nice roller bearings in the sleeve. Mike's Gym has several, including some new ones that came in a few weeks ago. I'd say they are the second most popular bar in the gym, behind the Eleiko competition bar. We have an older York or two lying around as well. Don't know much about the current generation of York bars.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:22 PM   #8
Scott Tully

Profile:
Linc,

The new 10lb Yorks are same diameter as the other bumber, I know about those crappy 12 inch ones they use to sell. Hows the training at Mikes Gym going, funny thing about chapman, its Burgener who gave me there number a couple of years ago at Junior Nationals in Orlando, and now Chapman is making alot of stuff for me, and its always top notch stuff.

Scott
Old 08-18-2004, 03:52 PM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Mike's Gym is always a good time! Casey was home this past Saturday. He was doing front squats (on a Chapman, 'natch) with 190kg for 4 reps. He acted like he was going to stop there but his Dad made him try 195kg for 4. Then 200kg for 4. Then 205kg for 3. Heheh. Casey was a little tired after that!

Scott, how to you think the new 10lb. Yorks will hold up under heavy use? In my experience the thinner the bumper, the less well they hold up. I know BFS is selling some 10 lb'ers as well; I have my doubts. Personally, I prefer going with a lighter barbell instead of a lighter bumper.
Old 08-19-2004, 08:18 AM   #10
Scott Tully

Profile:
Lincoln,

We have had good luck with the 10 lbers so far, we use them with some of our younger lifters, we only allow 2.5kg plates on with them, as soon as they are ready to put a 5kg on then they can just go to the 10kg, also I have the kids using them put collars on, keeps the bumper tighter and doesnt allow the plates to give too much. I think they are great for little kids or adults doing tech work who control the bar to a certain extent.

Scott