CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-29-2004, 05:00 PM   #1
Roy

Profile:

I found a 300 pound olympic weight set for less than $100. Probably gonna be around $85 or so. I wanted to buy it for mainly olympic lifts, but I the more I do o lifts, the more my already anhialated wrist hurts. O-lifts are the best, but a third wrist surgery is just absolutely not worth it.

I've never used a kettlebell before or even seen one(except on the internet). How are kettlebells on the wrist joints? is there just as much range of motion required as with O-lifts? If not, then I might just rather invest in a few 53 pound kettlebells if I could find some cheap and/or used. The O set is obviously a better buy and I could do more with it, but all I do anymore is martial arts power related exercises and calisthenics/rings. I think I would benefit more with kettlebells, personally.

Does anybody have any info? I've tried ebay. Nothin.

Cheers

Roy
Old 02-29-2004, 06:18 PM   #2
Roy

Profile:

Better yet, is there any way to make a kettlebell or a similar device?
Old 02-29-2004, 06:28 PM   #3
Terry MILLER

Profile:
Roy,
I had a local machine shop fabricate a 54 lb kettlebell. They used solid round bar, which was 6 " in diameter, cut it in a 6" length and then welded a 12" length of 1" solid round stock, bent in a U shape, to the side of the bar. This gave me a 54 lb kettlebell and cost $100.00 (Canadian funds).

Terry
Old 02-29-2004, 06:51 PM   #4
Kris Freeman

Profile:
Roy I have been looking into cheaper alternatives to kettlebells (im cheap). I found a site in Canada that sells kettlebell handles that you put weights on, which means it's adjustable! It's not garbage or super expensive like the Ironmind ones that I have seen. It looks awesome!

http://members.shaw.ca/rickcouture.kb1.htm

Hope the link works ok and good luck!
Old 02-29-2004, 11:23 PM   #5
Tyler Hass

Profile:
Why not just use dumbbells until you can afford real ones? They're the cheapest of all alternatives. And they work fine until you get into more advanced stuff. They don't have the "swing" feel, but you can get the same metabolic effect.
Second choice would be the one Rick Couture makes that Kris just linked to. They look like the best of the "kettlebell" handles.

Tyler
Old 03-01-2004, 11:47 AM   #6
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I saw a cool way to make KB's but I don't remember where I saw it. I'll try to describe: Go to a used sporting goods store and find a Threaded Chrome Tricep Bar - Solid steel tricep bar has threaded ends with star-lock standard collars to ensure that the plates are secure. It is an oval which has two handles inside the oval. Get your hack saw and cut the horizonal bar above the "handles". Four cuts and about two hours later you should have two plate loaded KB handles. The spin lock will prevent the weights from flying around your house. Buy standard plates (used) and you have two KBs for well under $100. Hope this helps.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:08 PM   #7
Jason Lauer

Profile:
I'll second the dumbbell suggestion becuase that is what I use and they work just fine. From what I understand about kettlebells a dumbbell of the same weight is easier to lift becuase of the decreased leverage that they give you. My thinking takes me to: use heavier dumbbells. I read somewhere that (opinion) dumbbells are superior or are equal to kettlebells for doing one arm snatches and clean and jerks (my memory is telling me that what I read it from was rebutable). Seeing as how you can use dumbbells for swings as well, though you may have some discomfort for having to overlap your hands, you might as well stick to dumbells. The cost versus the effect compared to kettlebells seems to me to swing way in the favor of dumbbells.

On a side note Pavel might think of changing his nickname from the "Evil Russian" to the "(insert expletive) Pirate", because the cost of kettlebells not to mention the shipping are outrageous. Maybe the government should crack down on him with some anti-trust laws. I could better spend my $200-300 on good bumper plates and bars from York, Eleiko, or Ivanko.
Old 03-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #8
George

Profile:  
Roy, check this out. I just made the ones you don't have to weld,with 1" pipe/handles. They are awesome. I did swings and snatches today with 50 pounds on the bar. I would just suggest you get some of those old weight collars for standard weights to keep them from sliding when there's not a lot on the bar. http://www.ikettlebell.com/homemadekb.html Good luck
Old 03-01-2004, 05:21 PM   #9
Roy

Profile:

First off, thanks to everyone with all these good posts. George, that link is gold!!! Im either gonna do something like that or go find a couple 50 lb dumbells. Kettlebells are now out of the question BECAUSE OF shipping. Dumbells will probably do fine.

Cheers

Roy
Old 03-01-2004, 05:28 PM   #10
mark a. blakemore

Profile:

Jason,

Pavel is just another example of someone coming to our country and teaching us the "American Dream."

Yeah, they are expensive but worth every "red" cent.